Wedding songs

These two songs featured heavily…

My sister walked down the aisle to Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ Maps, but a radio sesh acoustic version i found from… god knows where actually. Zane Lowe’s old show maybe? The original woulda been … just that bit too hectic (at the end; the guitar freakout) for the Grans. It was quite the eye-dampener.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs featuring quite heavily! We had the acoustic version of Hysteric as our first dance and the launched into Hall and Oates - You Make My Dreams because we knew everybody would stay on the dance floor.

Our wedding is about 15 months away. No concrete plans, but definitely having this cover off of the Dark Was The Night compilation by Yo La Tengo as the first dance. Fiancée’s choice, and I bloody love this track, so it really works for me.

We had -

Registry office pre ceremony - Beach Boys - Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)

Aisle - Dirrt Projectors - Two Doves

Signing - Luna - Bewitched

Exit - Father John Misty - Real Love Baby

First Dance (which we only did unofficially - not as an event!) - Belle and Sebastian - The Boy with the Arab Strap

i DJ’d a wedding where the bride danced with her main bridesmaid* to Turn Into as the second song after the First Dance. they were holding hands through it and god damn it was the cutest thing ever.

*no idea of the correct terminology for this role.

The Book Of Love gets used for so many weddings these days, it even has a section on its Wikipedia page mentioning it.

My wife walked on down to a friend of ours playing a cover of Impregnable Question by The Dirty Projectors, but that was for personal reasons between us as much as it being a suitable song.

Also had LAGWAFIS as the aisle walk. Can’t remember what else we had other than Let’s Get On as a first dance and Footloose numerous times during the evening.

One lot of friends used Pixies - La La Love You as the aisle walk. Another used SFA - Fire in My Heart for the first dance.
Both sound good but personally wouldn’t have gone with lyrics like ‘driving myself mad’ and ‘I just break down and cry’.

At a recent wedding they built everything up for the first dance, implying something standard and rehearsed, and it was some Foo Fighters type thing and they started pogoing furiously and hauled all their friends up. That was good.

Friends of mine had “Hello Sunshine” by SFA as their first dance, purely for the line “You’re a minger, I’m a minger too”

Walk in: First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
First Dance: In The Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

How the living heck do you dance to ITAOTS???

It’s in 3/4 time so I reckon it would work really well as a waltz

Subthread: did any of you get any stick from relatives for your choices? I got a bit of a hard time for choosing Do You Realize??? for the line “everyone you know someday will die” … which I felt was missing the point of the song, somewhat.

Dunno, maybe. I was f**king hammered!

During the ceremony as well?!

Ha! Not quite, might have made it to the first course. I was REALLY nervous about that speech!

Yeah exactly this. My wife was dreading the whole first dance thing, so it was more a case of just swaying about on the spot haha