Weddings (polls & chat)

I like going to weddings.

7 Likes

I was at a wedding over NY that caused the whole group an inordinate amount of stress and annoyance too, with the couple being pretty oblivious to it, so my tolerance levels for this topic are pretty low rn

2 Likes

I desperately wanted to do BYOB for the evening, but for vetoed.btbf, the bar we hired were very reasonable, did great cocktails and were generally a GBOB (great bunch of bar)

4 Likes

We arrived slightly early for a dinner reservation last year, got seated immediately without having our name taken and they brought us a free bottle of prosecco or whatever. Thought it was odd but nice enough

Ten minutes later the couple celebrating their engagement turned up and we had to move to a less nice table and they took our bubbly away. It was quite funny

14 Likes

In a way I want to have absolutely wild demands made of me by the people getting married. I enjoy the outrage.

2 Likes

It depends on the wording.

The best way for such a request is to say something like “we don’t want any presents, but if you’re desperate to give something, feel free donate to our honeymoon fund”.

Went to a wedding with a similar suggestion last year, and gave some dosh the day after the wedding. Got to check out the catering first, obviously.

15 Likes

Pal of mine just did cost price for their wedding. Got stacks of magic rock tins and flogged them at £1.50 a can from a makeshift bar

Everyone had a cheap night and the couple didn’t lose out. Worked really well

That’s nice.

I’m sure there are loads of little things like this that people can come up with that make the day a bit different or ‘special’ which don’t actually involve asking people to spend £hundreds

1 Like

Kilt with “Live, Love, Laugh” on the back for the entire groom’s party, to be provided by groomsmen themselves.

4 Likes

Yeah. We gave our bridesmaids £100 each to get a dress for it iirc. One of them spent £300 on hers (more than my wife spent on her dress). Proof that certain people are more than willing to spend mad bunce on such matters.

2 Likes

Just find almost everything about modern weddings depressing, greedy and joyless, sorry.

Can only remember two non-depressing wedding stories:

• A mate of mine and his partner got married in secret. They’d been together for nearly thirty years. Arranged to meet their kids for a meal one Saturday in Scotland and had a quick service just the four of them and maybe their partners.

• Similar story, a mate of a mate, casusally mentioned in passing he’d got married the weekend before. Him and his girlfriend, a mate each, their parents, siblings, registry office, then went for a curry and a few pints.

Both of those things to me are a hundred times more romantic than effectively charging your friends £200 each so you can have a nice day.

14 Likes

Free bar at a wedding (PUBLIC POLL)

• Good idea
  • Bad idea

0 voters

So you’ve got the cost of that, but it might actually be worth it for all the time you’ll get to complain to literally everyone you meet about it.

Go large or go home

2 Likes

I have missed 3 friends’ weddings in various European countries over the last 5 years or so because of financial situation. I still feel interminably guilty about all of them, but I just couldn’t afford it at the time.

When I was planning our wedding which never happened in the end a free bar was a non-negotiable. It was probably the only thing I felt particularly strongly about.

2 Likes

Again, was something I looked at doing, but couldn’t really afford it tbf. We were very lucky with the generosity of our families

1 Like

I would be outraged.

4 Likes

Was the only thing we insisted on for our wedding. 100% would do it again.

Neither of us really like sparkling wine and they offered us a complimentary drink so we were happy enough

See, if my family knew there was a free bar at a function they’d bring tents. It’d be a race to the death. There’s no way the bill would be less than five figures.

1 Like