Wednesday morning eternal toaster question

It’s cold. I have to make a really tricky schedule for a project today which I have put off for ages. Need coffee. It’s bloody freezing.

Edit: so cold I said it twice :neutral_face:

Morning all. Gonna have a maccers breakfast then got a long slow train ride from Belgrade to Zagreb. Gonna catch up on some reading I reckon.

good afternoon /evening to you

Thanks cowsers.

Is there an official time where afternoon becomes evening?

Does it depend on the time of year / sunset?

It’s 16:39, but overcast and definitely feels eveningy.

Pls advise.

1 Like

Never before 17:00. That’s the absolute earliest evening time.

3 Likes

So it is a sliding scale, but with a hard minimum?

Correct, with the increasingly outdated notion of a ‘9-5’ defining the hard minimum. I’d also take a long hard look at anyone who suggested evening hadn’t started by 19:00.

I’m glad we’ve cleared that up.

How about the transition from evening to night? Is this based purely on sunset? Does evening have a minimum time?

i agree with our twinkle toed friend

He’s a good #egg

2 Likes

Evening to night, eh? I feel like night can’t begin until an analogue clock is into double digits in the PM, no matter how early the sun has set. No one would play a professional football game at ‘night’ by scheduling choice, and the only reason the FA would sanction a game extending beyond 10 is in the case of an ‘evening game’ needing ‘extra time’.

Edit: I feel less confident on E-N transition, so let me know your thoughts.

I’m not so sure about this one, you’re saying that you can’t say it’s night until after 10pm at the earliest, or am I misreading this?

Hi all

3 Likes

That’s what I’m saying. I’m not entirely confident about it. I think it might be more of an age thing maybe? In the earliest phases of your life, night doesn’t exist at all. Then you have a ‘bedtime’ which gradually increases from, say, 7:30 through to 10, and this comes to define ‘night’. Then you have commitments which mean you never get to bed on time, and night becomes defined by the earliest you could go to bed without feeling like you’re missing out on the ‘evening’ (i.e. televised football matches)

I’ve a friend that used to do this frequently! Usually though he would just take pictures of himself and set one to whoever’s phones background. Beyond “Oh [name redacted]! You lil scamp!!” shakes fist I wasn’t sure what sort of reaction that he was hoping to provoke by pulling these ‘pranks’ :smile:

1 Like

Good morning. I think I might have a stomach bug. Going to wfh/the toilet.

I understand your logic a bit better now, but still think 10pm may be too late.

I feel that you’re attaching the significance to “Good night” or “Good evening” above the other possible factors which determine these things, which is totally understandable. However, I feel that these can sometimes be bastardised as good night is more often used as a farewell statement sometimes time inappropriately just because so few people leave and say “good evening!”, it’s used more as a greeting and can sometimes be confusing.

1 Like

I thought the big toaster question was: does the dial control the timer alone, or does it also vary toasting intensity?

good morning

I had a conversation with my daughter about this a few weeks ago. I think we concluded that “it depends”… I’d say that anything before 5pm is definitely afternoon, and anything after 6pm is definitely evening. We’ll call the murky bit in between “The Neighbours Zone”.

1 Like

My one at home is time, it has minutes on the scale.

Sorry to cut that conversation short, but those are just facts.