Weekend Football Thread

Sorry, there’s a typo in that last line. It should read “lol Arsenal”.

2 Likes

Nah cuz it’s not funny

I think you’ll find you are in fact not laughing

3 Likes

Quite right.

Well you’re supposed to be adults, I think, all of you, but you act like genuine children in the football threads with seemingly no self-awareness.I make a kinda half-knowingly melodramatic post about how the reaction of supposed “sensible” people to the way Arsenal fans (because I was talking about the fans, not the club) act is wrong, because it’s not something anyone should celebrate or turn into a spectacle. And people feel happy to twist my words and turn it into some sort of playground bullying thing.

I’ve been going through quite a depressive period in my life recently, becoming more isolated and losing the ability to use escapism to get away from it all. Arsenal’s fortunes don’t define my general emotional state, far from it, but a temporary respite from depression is nice when it happens. I can cope with people’s shit on here, which looks to me an awful lot like gaslighting given how often my posts are wilfully misinterpreted, but what if I couldn’t? Feels like supposed progressive people lose their humanity as soon as football becomes involved. It’s all macho passive-aggression, and fuck other people. The odd ribbing or light-hearted joke is fine but it’s so often more than that, even when it’s not actively nasty.

Will the fact that I’ve actually brought personal experience into a football thread actually cause people to wake up to the people they become in these threads, or just expose me to more ridicule? Who knows.

We can all take comfort in the fact that despite the plane flyovers and banners at arsenal, united did it all first.

You don’t have to come into these threads, you know.

agree with this tbh, the football threads ate themselves years ago. must be properly offputting for new posters

1 Like

shrewbie! thought about you on tuesday. ‘haw haw you only drew against us’ was the thought. but actually more fond than that

Well I think these threads are often hilarious and a highlight of the site, and actually help my mood cinsiderabky

6 Likes

Yes

That third goal’s the least arsed defending I’ve ever seen, fucking amazing stuff

And you don’t have to be an arsehole to someone who has said they’ve been having a tough time. Besides is that really what you want, people to be intimated away from the football threads because of their reputation? That doesn’t sound like it’s going to generate any good chat in here, and we’ll end up with an echo chamber of people being shitty to eachother because “it’s expected.” Not cool.

I do think still_here gets a disproportionate amount of flak in these threads and it just makes the people doing it repeatedly look a bit sad. Sad!

3 Likes

Thank fuck Preston got an equaliser.

don’t worry mate, we soil our britches whenever there’s a chance to go sixth, you’ll get a point at least

[quote=“Ruffers, post:50, topic:12765, full:true”]cinsiderabky
[/quote]

Fully done here. Excellent work.

He’s doing pulling up trees for Metalist Kharkiv atm, would love Fulham to sign him

5 Likes

If I may, as someone who’s been subject to a bit of ribbing here in my time (some justified, some not) and also as someone susceptible to depressive episodes, it is generally best to avoid the internet in general (hard though it is given it’s so habitable) during these times because you’re way more vulnerable to offence or attack. I’m not trying to be patronising, I’ve felt the same and called people out innit before, but it’s important to remember not everyone is feeling the same thing at the same time and in a place with a lot of in-jokes such as this, it is not the best place to be.

You made a lot of good points here and in your earlier post, but I’d be very surprised if anyone here is actively trying to bully you. That said, well done for saying how you are feeling cuz it’s important to keep people aware and in check. Ultimately, football is about 90% schadenfreude and when seeing a big club fail so spectacularly knowing the reputation of their fans as passionately deluded, it’s not hard to see where the humour is there. It’s not personal, it’s a mostly anonymous forum with some “characters” or “traits” that have been built up over years of posting and chatting shit together, enjoying a shared joke which I think is generally the appeal of this often quite mad place.

Anyway, sorry to hear how you are feeling and if I’m talking shite, my advice is just take a step back and realise it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

Hey can we all be happy that Forest managed to get a point?

1 Like

Shakespeare joke

5 Likes