Weekend Football - WORLD CUP DRAW EARLY EDITION!

Probably the Porto one on accounts of how I taped it to watch later as I was playing 5-a-side that evening, completely fucked my ankle at 5-a-side to the point I couldn’t put any weight on it and had a Uni interview the following day, got in and watched us go out of Europe after being robbed of a valid winner thanks to a dodgy offside call to a last minute winner that went in at about one in the morning for me, had to get up dead early for the interview the next day, was extremely late for it thanks to not being able to walk properly, didn’t get the place.

Dead funny.

I think my first ever game of football was United 0 Torpedo Moscow 0 in 1992.

School forced us to go. The vast majority of the year supported Liverpool.

They drew the return leg 0-0 as well and went out on pens i think.

The 3-3 against Galatasaray 94ish was a right fucking treat.

It wasn’t a knock-out stage, but the 4-0 defeat to Barca in 1994, back when Man Utd used to struggle with the three foreigners rule, was hilarious.

Other funny european exits:

• Crouch getting sent off at the Bernabeu
  • Van Persie getting a second yellow for having a shot after the whistle had gone at Barca
  • Chelsea shitting their pants, diving for penalties and trying to punch the ref after Iniesta scored with the last kick
  • Arsenal - Monaco
  • Chelsea putting Rob Huth up front in a Champions League semi-final

When Man U lost to ?Gothenburg? and Fergie complained about the slippy pitch unfairly aiding their passing and resulting in Ince’s sending off.

Vague memories of them having to leave Schmeichel or Irwin out of a couple of games.

played gary walsh in that barca game

• Yaya’s piece of strange performance art at the Bernabeu in the semi was also very good

Yeah, One of Schmeichel or Cantona would be on the bench, usually.

Gary Walsh played against Barca.

Quite fond memories of City qualifying for Europe for the first time in a generation, seeing off Total Network Solutions and Lokeren before losing to Polish giants Groclin.

Whatever happened to Torpedo Moscow? That’s one of the greatest football team names

Also:

Wow I remember those Gothenburg games well. Thomas Ravelli was one of my goalkeeping heroes.

They play in the 2nd or 3rd tier of Russian football, long way behind Spartak, Locomotiv, Dynamo and CSKA who are the main Moscow teams

great picture on their website landing page, the romance of lower tier russian football fandom

Sad news about Cazorla

Poor bastard

The arrows on those lineups are silly