Weird Autogenerated YouTube Channels

After reading about the Titus Andronicus “acoustic” tour I wanted to see what they were like acoustic, so searched “Titus Andronicus acoustic” on YouTube. It came up with this:

It’s from a YouTube channel which seems to entirely consist of videos of a bizarre selection of news stories, overlaid on photos of what they’re describing, but the really weird bit is that they’re soundtracked by children’s nursery rhymes.

Here’s a selection of their choices of stories:

What strange channels have you come across?

keep it clean!

This is rife in kids YouTube land, and this article from 2017 goes into quite some detail. The combination of loads of available content to repurpose and the almighty algorithm has lead to some really, really disturbing stuff.

Oh I’d forgotten about that article! It’s fascinating stuff.

kept getting these in my recommendations after Mark E Smith died, accompanied by the most un-Fall like music you could imagine (stock piano or ukulele music for adverts).

even weirder are these ones with a computer generated voice reading out the text

Not autogenerated, but I read about and then listened to lots of videos which are versions of popular songs, but played in slightly strange context to give it a particular mood. Played in an empty mall is a popular example, as if from another room at a party.

Oh wow, apparently they can get very specific:

That first one is perfect

Autogenerated Youtube peaked with this, imo

I was looking up some stuff about the Afrikaans language and ended up getting recommended videos from the somewhat unsavoury side of white Afrikaans culture :neutral_face:

Ian Curtis on a rollercoaster is amazing :laughing: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile:

these are so weird. im pretty into them