Weird flex but ok

(aka ‘dubious badge of honour’)

Has anyone listened to the ‘The Snapchat Thief’ on the Reply All podcast?

It’s about the seedy underworld of social media account hacking/theft (and black market sale) from those who have particularly ‘OG’ single word social media handles like ‘Lizard’ for example.

Excellent episode but what I don’t get is why don’t people just approach the owner of the OG social media handle and offer them $1500 for their account name??? There can’t be many people who wouldn’t sell up straight away?! Why bother going through hackers?

Do you have an OG username? Would you sell it for $1500?

1 Like

There was a kid at my school who used to buy and sell rare runescape names

2 Likes

Because my first name is spelt unusually I often got to use my first name as a username on Facebook and Twitter and stuff, now more of the world is online there are more of us in the south east Asia region.

The most annoying one is some Canadian guy who has my name on instagram, he is some new age guru character and because he shares from Instagram to Twitter I’m constantly getting replies to things as my Twitter @ is his ig @

Wish I’d realised earlier my name without vowels is pleasingly symmetrical in lowercase, would make a good black metal ambigram, as it is taken most places (some guy with two photos on Instagram)

What does OG mean? (I get the gist from the context, but can’t think what it stands for)

1 Like

I stayed up late to make sure I got my proper name as my Facebook url. Improved my life immeasurably.

2 Likes

I think it was like 4am.

OG original gangster
OG original gangster
OG original gangster
OG original gangster
OG original gangster
OG original gangster

6 Likes

how much would everyone accept for their username?

£25

numbers suck mate

I’d quite like to have a different one but feel trapped, so a small amount.

numbers ain’t OG

just happy I got an e-mail address without any underscores or numbers in it tbf.

2 Likes

hate underscores

2 Likes

In valuations things need to be dated (rings, silver bracelets etc usernames)

7 Likes

always get twitter @s meant for the other one as I was first on twitter.

The OG (B) right here, baby

5 Likes

poor @japes always gets some boring saucepan chat or the like off theo on twitter

only a matter of time before he deletes his account

4 Likes

F_U

1 Like