Welsh Music Thread - Rholio (Rolling)

Do I count as an Englishman exiled in Barry? No idea but there’s some amazing music being made in Wales atm and I’d be honoured to be associated with it.

I’ll let you big up all the electronic lot, when I have a free moment there’s some doom/psych/noise rock I should give a shout out to. I’ll just post an Obey Cobra vid in the meantime. Amazing genre fluid psych rock band - I think they were planning a hiatus from playing live pre-lockdown, hoping when venues open up they’ll have changed their mind.

2 Likes

I’m sure we’ve all had that feeling when listening to the Fall, “this would sound even better in Welsh.”

1 Like

Yeah enjoyed this

1 Like
3 Likes

On top of the tunes, I can confirm that the Boy Azooga chaps and Carwyn Ellis are good eggs. I’ll post some stuff in here later when I get some more time

1 Like

Posted about H Hawkline in the Music League thread.

Also wanted to mention Group Listening which is a jazz duo featuring Sweet Baboo - they were part of Cate Le Bon’s backing band for Reward, I believe (or they were when I saw her early in 2019)

2 Likes

he’s good with Le Bon but i saw him do a solo set supporting her once and couldn’t get into his own stuff so much. the sound was stupidly loud for his set for some reason which didn’t help i suppose.

i only know of Group Listening from the EP of Reward reworkings they did. will check out their other stuff

Ah that’s a shame re Baboo’s set! Can’t say that I know too much about him either but the Group Listening album is really worth a shot, much calmer than some of the frenetic moments you hear on Reward.

I was then gonna mentioned Ed Dowie who also features on that EP but it turns out that he’s from Dorset.

1 Like

Shame that the Joy Formidable fell off a cliff a bit, loved that debut album. Ruined by America I think

2 Likes

The Music League playlist made me realise there’s so much good music from Wales I haven’t heard (and a lot of great music I knew but didn’t realise was Welsh).

The playlist link for anyone not doing Music League – don’t know if they get taken down after a while or not.

2 Likes

Gruffs new single is good. Bit long though! Also featuring Sweet Baboo. I do love how the scene in Cardiff shares musicians between projects. Nice to see everyone in work!

1 Like

Wonderful album of instrumental retro leaning surf / psych

3 Likes

I can’t see Sweet Baboo without hearing Glamma Kid saying “Sweetest taboo!” from that Shola Ama song

2 Likes

Discovered The Voices while searching for a backup pick for Music League. Seems like mixed quality so far, but some really nice shoegaze gems in there.

Here are a couple good prettier ones:

And a good aggressive one:

Talking of Shoegaze how could I forget Perfect Body (from Cardiff)

1 Like

Dave is one of the nicest people on earth, he’s a fantastic guy

This comes out tomorrow - should be good! https://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2021/03/22/news-corona-logic-28-track-super-furry-animals-covers-album-announced-in-aid-of-llamau/

2 Likes

Melys from the Ankst release S4C makes me want to smoke crack volume 2. Ankst was a great label. Released early SFA and Gorky’s amongst many others over the years. No longer active I don’t think.

i nearly picked high contrast for music league welsh round, but thought @Jamos might have me covered after saying he might become a deebee guy…
High Contrast - Make it Tonight [HQ] - YouTube

1 Like

like that! I’ll check some more of his stuff out. have been listening to the recommendations people gave in that thread so maybe I’m on my way there

1 Like