Went on a date at the weekend and the girl I was with wouldn’t stop going on about Umberto Eco

On and on about Umberto fucking Eco. I was like “look hon, are we supposed to be having a date or hosting the annual AGM of the fucking Nottingham chapter of the fucking Umberto Eco fanclub?!”.

Frustrating. Let’s see what happens on date two.

10 Likes

Third anniversary of his death tomorrow, so understandable really.

1 Like

Is it me or is there an Eco…fan in here.

Huh thought this was going to be the set up for a niche terrible puns thread. Disappointed.

Something like “I bought her flowers but we couldn’t agree what type they actually were, spent half the date arguing about the name of the rose.”

14 Likes

He’s dead?! RIP to a great…author?

Dolphin?

But more that that, a great friend too.

7 Likes

Strong

Damn. I was going to make an ‘eco-friendly’ pun, too.

2 Likes

We did. I will post a report/debrief in the ‘Weekend In Manchester’ thread.

3 Likes

Oh god, I know the type. I bet she used him as the basis of all of her reasoning and arguments, which rarely works out well.

Total Eco-logical disaster.

Foucaulf m8

10 Likes

Was just walking through town and literally saw an abandoned Umberto Eco book lying on a bench. What are the odds!?

1 Like

Having spent 3 years of my life studying postmodern theory I can appreciate this joke. If nothing else, I can appreciate this joke.

3 Likes

Hope your second date with Jordan goes better

2 Likes

Could you let us know the number of benches in town, the number of books abandoned on benches per day, the % of books bought in town that are Eco.

Should be able to get you something from that.

1 Like

Enjoy Foucault’s Pendulum at Reading!

8 Likes

CWBAFT

Would that not be a clear reference to the French physicist Léon Foucault rather than French postmodern theorist Michel Foucault though??

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

^Toby

1 Like

Let’s take a couple hundred replies to deconstruct the concept of «cultural references», just for fun, shall we?