Were my family normal?

Is a story about my older male cousin whipping his knob out and playing with it in front of his sister (who was encouraging it) and I a bit too Reddit for this thread?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

fuck, i think i found the recording

2 Likes

I had a friend who loved coming to my house, no arguments, pizza each and REAL BUTTER. :smile:

2 Likes

A guy who lives across from the road from us used to come over every Super Sunday and Monday Night Football circa 94-96 because we had Sky. Think he was invited over once and then just proceeded to come over every week, meaning sometimes someone would be watching something else and we’d have to turn over to watch Middlesbrough vs West Ham because my mum and brother didn’t have the heart to say no. My mum started calling him “the burglar” for his tendency to turn up unannounced and still does to this day.

• A nice neighbourly gesture
  • Just tell him to go to the pub

0 voters

In my family we called these
joss sticks.

• Fine
  • They’re called incense sticks, you loons
  • We had another name for them (reply with it please)
  • Incensed you think my family were hippies.

0 voters

Don’t remember my family every using/talking about them, but up north friends would call them joss sticks. Way before I even knew the proper name to be honest.

2 Likes

Joss stick isn’t (going off Wikipedia) an improper name at all, but I feel like it might not be common :slight_smile:

This is the first I’ve learned that incense and Joss sticks aren’t two different things :exploding_head:

I’m pretty sure they’re referred to as joss sticks in the Adrian Mole books which is enough for me to declare it right and proper.

3 Likes

Always thought it was ‘josticks’

Was funny on the Ricky Gervais Podcast when Stephen Merchant told the story about being at a house party as a youth, thinking joss sticks got you high and saying to people God I’m really feeling those joss sticks

2 Likes

Me and my friends were also under this impression when we first bought some from a ‘hippy shop’ (38 I was)

3 Likes

I’d imagine it’s not really got a fully ‘correct’ way of writing it.

Definitely joss sticks.

1 Like

Bunch of hardcore dad-joke enablers here. Thank you

Not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say “incense sticks” and if I did I’d wonder why they didn’t use the proper name.

Or is it a brand name? Like Henry Hoover?

quite fancy getting some sticks and making my flat all jossy

Patchouli and sandalwood wanker…

1 Like

If we had guests over for dinner, when the left my mum would make all of us (her, dad, me, 2 sisters) stand at the front door and wave at them as they drove off. (sorry don’t know how to do polls!)

18 Likes