Were you an annoying child?

Yes, and many of my aunts and uncles don’t like me to this day as a result, which may have made sense when I was a child, but now I realise that they’re just awful people

2 Likes

Asked my Mum once why I didn’t have any brothers or sisters and she gave me a withering look and said “because, [full name], one of you is too much.”

That being said I blame her for the fact I’m such a dickhead adult, if she’d have just grounded me or made me face one or two consequences rather than labelling me as “creative” and “clever” and letting me “be a free spirit” maybe I’d have less full on strops as an adult and be able to cope with not getting my own way.

3 Likes

Surprisingly yes

1 Like

Up to the age of about 12/13 i was a decent wee kid.

13 to 17 - peak obnoxiousness.

1 Like

Really laughing imagining you as a child, sat round the dinner table and then saying something that would later become one of your threads

1 Like

Yeah probably, was told I was clever at an early age and it turned me into one of those awful precocious children everyone hates. Used to smarm up to other kids’ parents, grass my sister up (she was dead annoying in fairness) and put my hand up for everything in class. Something for everyone to hate really.

2 Likes

So, so, so, so annoying.

My parents often go through anecdotes about me failing to learn to ride a bike. Including rolling down a hill screaming “LIIIAAAR” because the brakes weren’t slowing me down fast enough, and getting off my bike and starting to kick it.

I was quite annoying with refusing food and medicine, and never shutting up about Thomas the Tank Engine or Sonic the Hedgehog or whatever

3 Likes

oh yeah, to get me to learn to ride a bike (finally, way later than i should have) my parents bought a present and used to run down the hill in front of me so i’d have to cycle after them. When I eventually managed to keep going long enough to catch them I got to keep it

JFC :smiley:

2 Likes
3 Likes

“Eat your carrots, Jordan”

1 Like

I seem to remember the bit in The Lion King when one of the lions called Scar (I think) a murderer made me think murderer was just a standard insult

Cue my parents being bemused when I got snippy and started calling them murderers in public

5 Likes

The worst. I was precocious and had a reading age of about 10 when I was four. I have adhd so would have temper tantrums, pull other children’s hair, disrupt lessons.

The fact I was very clever exacerbated this because I usually was quite far ahead the other kids which lent itself to boredom quickly.

Broke our car by inputting the security code wrong too many times on purpose. Broke the washing machine by turning the dial the wrong way.
Was very mean to my mum during my teenage years which is something I’ve never got over. Call her every day now and tell her I love her.

Jesus I was fucking awful.

1 Like

Incredibly annoying and precocious, proper thought I was a child prodigy and was constantly showing off how clever I was. A short list of annoying things:

• Gave my class extra [optional, wasn’t allowed to make it mandatory] homework in year 5
  • Described a playground war when I was 7 as being “like the Battle of Agincourt in 1415”
  • Used to put my hand up so high in class that I was properly hovering above my seat and stretching my arm up as high as I possibly could
  • Made my band perform a song about the French Revolution
  • Taught myself to spell and say the longest word in the English language in 10 minutes before I went to church one Sunday and then used it as often as I could for the next 5 years
  • Got treated as a troublemaker in Sunday School for asking too many difficult questions so started saying “I’m God” to disrupt every session, when they tried to actually argue with me based on scripture I’d just be like “the Bible was written by men, they made a mistake” (this lasted 2 years and I reactivated it aged 15 when our youth group got replaced by Youth Alpha course, which is genuinely terrible compared to adult Alpha)
  • Got properly angry when someone made Top Trumps cards for our class and only gave me 95/100 for intelligence, I was absolutely convinced I should have 100 [tbf the boys who made them gave themselves all higher scores and only one was at my level]

Then went to grammar school, realised I wasn’t hot shit and basically settled down to be mediocre by my peers’ standards until sixth form when I could be bothered again.

7 Likes

I think the fact I liked reading made me a complete dick. Just because you’ve read the A Level set texts when you were 15 doesn’t make you smart, I’d say to myself if I could travel in time

1 Like

:smiley:
You definitely would’ve been my favourite person if we’d gone to the same school

5 Likes

Only in the way that all children are annoying. My brother was the proper annoying child in our family I think.

1 Like

Oh I forgot a key one.

• In my ‘self-report card’ in year 5 I made my personal goal in English, geography and history “Stop boasting about how clever I am.” I am not paraphrasing, I found that card in 2013 when cleaning out my childhood stuff from the loft.
2 Likes

I was a big biter and scratcher until the age of like 13

3 Likes

My mum took me to the doctors because I was smiley and used to sit quietly and they thought there was something wrong with me. Just proper mint me

7 Likes

Nah, I’m the middle one. No one gave a fuck. Doubt anyone would have even noticed if I was.