Wet Leg general thread

In a previous life.

2 Likes

think Chaise Longue might be a bit annoying

3 Likes
1 Like

New single coming in 10 mins….

The Big D(ebut) Album* out 8th April.

(*It’s not called this. It’s self titled)

1 Like

Should 100% have used your name!

2 Likes

I nicked it from an email Rough Trade just sent me :pensive:

2 Likes

Not really into this one. Might be a grower though.

I just saw the email and thought they’d nicked it from you! Or there was some clever play on words I was missing. Glad to have resolution.

1 Like

Why are they talked about as a duo by the music press and on their album sleeve. The three guys at the back, are they not full time members. Stereo gum refers to them as a duo?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3zxNTrmWg/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Here too…

Are the rest just a backing band? That was what I thought. Songwriting wise it’s just them two I’m sure

2 Likes

They are in the music videos though. Seems a bit odd to style yourself as a duo when you aren’t.

They’re not in the band though. Like Bill Callaghan or Cat Power, the records come out under their name regardless of who played on it or who tours with them.

These guys are touring members but presumably have no say in band decisions. That’s fine and it’s not wildly unusual.

8 Likes

Like others, I find myself enjoying the songs if I don’t pay them too much attention, but if I actively watch the videos or listen to the lyrics their ironic aloofness and quirkiness starts to grate.

Also feel it’s a gimmick that could age pretty badly. Even if the joke stays relevant for an album or two, in a few years’ time it might well be that new listeners see them as representative of the sort of Britishness they are lampooning.

are they a joke? they’re quirky but they’re not comedy

4 Likes

i mean … maybe, but they haven’t even released one album yet! :smiley: let a couple of young people mess around and try out their (clearly popular) sound before we go predicting how it won’t age well. By album 3 they could be hard-pivoting to murder ballads anyway

4 Likes

Are Wet Leg heading for a fall?

6 Likes

You’re right - not sure “joke” was the right word here. Also don’t mean to write them off by any means.

I was just thinking about how I feel when I listen to, say, The Kinks or Madness. Like, they were also sending up certain aspects of British life and society, but, for me, a listener from the future, they end up symbolising those things they were trying to undermine.

So it came to mind, probably unfairly, that the same could happen with Wet Leg’s ironic takes on British reservations about sex.

Wet Leg need to be taken down a peg or two

1 Like