WFH/not-WFH transition: The Dreadening

I dont like to judge but… jeeeze why would u do that???

1 Like

I don’t think it’s possible to overstate how much the average person just zones out of literally all information, intentionally, and will just never ever get it (pandemics included). An eg of this- she initially complained to their manager because my pal was making her feel bad! And then was vindicated!!

1 Like

And should also note that this isnt an average office it’s part of an emergency service, so shudder to think what the normal offices are like.

think it’s increasingly setting in how gutted i am gonna be to see my wife less :confused: might try and buy a ballet studio next to where i work or something.

I have been one of the first in my place to go back, largely because I was moving house and there’d be a few weeks with big disruption.

Quite liked it at first, but they seem to be ramping up the amount of people coming in which makes me uncomfortable. Plus none of the older staff seem to understand the concept of a one way system somehow.

I will say the main negative about it is losing so much time to preparing for the next workday in terms of cooking food ect

My work is not expecting anyone to go back anytime soon, apart from if you want to or have work that can’t be done from home.

I work on some customers whose servers can’t be accessed remotely, so I’m going I’m on average three half days a week I reckon.

Luckily I live a 20 minute drive from work, so on those days I leave home later, start at 930 to miss any rush hour, work to 130, drive home have lunch and then do a few hours from home.

I’m fine with my company, but I’m getting more anxious as other companies we share the building with seem to be back at full capacity and don’t seem to care.

:smiley: five years down, although nearly 10 together!

if you had the choice you’d

• WFH
  • WFW
  • bit o both
  • CWBAFT

0 voters

Ideally 4:1 or 3:2 WFH:office

2 Likes

Unless there’s an actual reason for going into the office, I think I’ll be flat out refusing to do so for evermore. I can’t imagine my org sacking me for that stance, although I guess we’ll find out :joy: :thinking:

2 Likes

Ideal ratio (home:office)

• 5:0
  • 4:1
  • 3:2
  • 2:3
  • 1:4
  • 0:5

0 voters

4:0

5 Likes

…I got this the wrong way round oops

I meant office:home :sweat_smile:

9:1

edit made a right meal of that

If they never see you, they can’t sack you.

:thinking:

1 Like

I’m really really pissed off about this at the moment. I’m head of dept in a large secondary school. As soon as we returned I said to my lot “look, if you’re not teaching lessons you don’t need to be here with us breathing all over each other in the staff room, take your marking and planning home with you.”

Overruled by smt. They’d rather we were all in a room together so that they don’t feel we’re slacking even though they know how much work almost all of us put in from home last term working remotely with the kids going above and beyond. Arrggghhh.

2 Likes

Looks like both me and Her Indoors’ works will be letting us do 4:1. This means that we’re free to move to another city where she’s from and all her family live, and our weekly commute into Manchester will cost us actually slightly less per month than the metrolink passes we were buying, and not actually be that much longer (for me) because it’d be by high speed rail.

Moving would afford us a far better quality of life because of the wide open green spaces, proximity to lots of countryside, and less cramped housing our money could get us there as opposed to Manchester. Only thing is that we’re very hesitant to actually make the move because we have no way of knowing that the 4:1 will last, and it will probably impact us when applying for other jobs because we’d be limited to employers offering the same arrangement in Manchester. Where we’d move to offers pretty much no work for either of our sectors. It’s a big risk… but I’m really tempted to take it because of what a massive improvement it would make to our lives.

Say they tried to change it to be slightly more office based in future, could you manage a 3:2 home to office? Would at least allow some flexibility if you’re not tied down to 4:1 being the only way that the move would work for you

3:2 would mean that I’d probably drive rather than get the train, because cost-wise it would make way more sense, and that would make me feel bad in the sense that I try to only use the car for journeys where public transport wouldn’t be available, or too slow or expensive to be worth it. For carbon footprint reasons I’ve always kept my driving to an absolute minimum, but yeah I’d be ok with it and it would still be preferable to not moving. Flipping over to 2:3 would become too much though, I think that’s where the line would be. So I suppose we’d be gambling on there being enough companies offering 3 or 4 days a week WFH that we could apply elsewhere if either of us needed another job, which I’m pretty sure it would be because even pre-Covid we both knew that maybe a day or two per week of remote working was quite common from other employers in our sectors. (In fact, my partner has for the past few years always known that if she needed to apply for another job quickly, there’s an employer in Manchester that she keeps professional relationships with as part of her current job, who are seemingly always hiring for a very similar role that she does now, and they’ve always been operating 3 days a week WFH so they can have twice the team size for their office space, so she’d be pretty safe). Ultimately I don’t think it’s a massive gamble, the huge likelihood is that we’d be better off, but it’s that thought of one of us losing our job and not being able to find another that scares the shit out of me because I have a tendency to always dwell on the theoretical catastrophes.