What age do we have to wait for Shaun Ryder to reach before we can call him a national treasure?

Post can’t be empty

Ryder wrote a column for The Daily Sport, in which he commented on current events and celebrities.[16] It was in this column that Ryder announced his intention to reform Happy Mondays before even making any fellow former members aware of this. He would state the height of a famous person, instead of their age, as is standard in the media (i.e. “Jeremy Irons [6’2”]", instead of “Jeremy Irons [64]”).[citation needed]

:joy:

:grinning:

He is the only person to be specifically referred to by name in Channel 4’s Compliance Manual, which states: “Please note that the Channel 4 Board has undertaken to the ITC that Shaun Ryder will not appear live on Channel 4”.

Not sure that’s still the case mind you, I think he appeared on TFI Friday when that came back.

it’s coming up
it’s coming up
it’s coming up
it’s coming up
it’s coming up

I still recall with fondness the incident which resulted in that decree

@moderators - can I have [6’2"] as my wee avatar title?

No, but you can have 6" x 2"

quotes from that group of pickled ‘madchester’/britpop thing are my favourite things in the world:

“F**k off on tour and until they’re two. That’s what I did first time around.” Happy Mondays frontman Shaun Ryder reveals the secret to his code of parenting.

He agreed last year to appear in Channel 4 drama Shameless - as long as he didn’t have to say or do anything.

He said at the time: "I don’t really like doing owt like that, but the part was cool because I didn’t have to speak or anything. I tried, I can’t do it - I’m hopeless.

“I had a go at acting once and that was enough for me.”

The cameo eventually saw him walking his dog Oscar along the street.

And Gallagher:

“I live for now, not for what happens after I die. If I die and there’s something afterwards, I’m going to hell, not heaven. I mean, the devil’s got all the good gear. What’s God got? The Inspiral Carpets and nuns. Fuck that.”

Americans want grungy people, stabbing themselves in the head on stage. They get a bright bunch like us, with deodorant on, they don’t get it.

Slight but semi-related thread hijack to draw everyone’s attention to the fact that Liam Gallagher though A$AP Rocky was called WhatsApp Ricky:

Bit of a twat isnt he

Saw bez in a club in manchester once though

I’m sure I recall that Albarn had to change the title of the track to Dare because Shaun couldn’t say ‘It’s there’

i’ve heard that, yeah

The cuffing of two women’s heads is a bit much. Looked like at least one wasn’t expecting it?

I thought it was the interview that did it? They had him on and he swore so Chris Evans did some pleading to get him on again and started the interview by saying

“You’ve agreed to try not to swear. And if you do this whole interview without swearing I’ll give you my boots”.
He then took off one boot and put it on the table.
Shaun Ryder responded with, “That’s a fookin’ nice pair of boots”.

That was the original issue but the performance of Pretty Vacant was the main thing. Apparently, they filmed it Stars-In-Their-Eyes style so the bit where he goes through the door and waves was pre-recorded… but the performance itself was live. Apparently Ryder didn’t realise this and consequently tried to live up to the Sex Pistols image by swearing and generally creating aggro

Ah right. I have remembered the two back to front. :smiley:

I did enjoy TFI Friday back in the day.

@Witches See! the articles used to be good!

Essential viewing at times. Arguably, this incident contributed to its downfall: it was never as good when they had to pre-record

:unamused: