What are you listening to right now?

Jaylib - Champion Sound

with the windows open and the SUN SHINING

1 Like

what a bloody song

this fucking epic album

2 Likes

a teenage favourite. really enjoying it. so sue me.

1 Like
1 Like

i’d just like to spend a few days in a dark room listening to this on repeat

1 Like

yess queen

1 Like

a Self Defense Family playlist very nicely made by @Severed799

1 Like

Aw thanks! I was pretty happy with how that one hangs together

Wonder if this is the best ever track released by an 80 year old
amazing stuff

2 Likes

was just listening to this having opened it in a new tab earlier, came back to thread to tell you how great it is and then see this bombshell. Absolutely banger from the old lady.

1 Like

@WizardLizard have you heard this version? much less random noise than the album version, so good.

I met up with a friend I haven’t seen in ages yesterday, partly because she had to go look after her father with terminal cancer and she was describing her grief as an “ache”. So:

Frankie Sparo is the absolute best, I really wish everyone would realise this.

Cheers for the link! Oh man this is 100 times better than the album version! Just read up on the track and found a quote from Brix’s book:

Brix herself comments in The Rise, The Fall and The Rise that “Bonkers in Phoenix” is based on a song she had written while back in LA called “Shiny Things”: “I thought ‘Shiny Things’ was maybe one of the best things I’d ever written. I didn’t even understand exactly what it was about - but it was extremely personal. When I look back at it now, it was inner child speaking. It was about not using the superficiality of outside influences to boost your self-esteem; but that all your strength and good feelings come from within you, are not false… Happiness comes from the inside. It was a really special song. When I wrote it, I dug down really fucking deep.” She expected great things of it, a lovely duet with Mark to go with the “gorgeous, subtle soundscape counter-melody” played by Scanlon. But of course: “Mark obliterated the song, in my opinion. He put the most ugly, vile noises on it, and drowned out any of the delicacy, and sped up my voice so I sounded like a cartoon demon - Alvin and the Chipmunks on crack. He wiped off Craig’s guitar… Mark says it was meant to be an experimental exercise of wandering between bands playing simultaneously at a festival… but I think he just wanted to destroy something that was special to me.”

The track definitely feels more comfortable as like shoegaze-y style ballad! It would have still stuck out like a sore thumb on Cerebal but for better reasons imo…

1 Like

I always really like ones where Brix or someone else is singing properly and Mark is chatting some nonsense over it in the background

Cracking album Gromit.

1 Like

Hmm me too usually but I think on the album version of bonkers, MES’s contributions are too high in the mix and shouldn’t take centre stage.

I reckon if they’d cut Bonkers and Pine Leaves, Cerebral would probably be more highly regarded. Both stick out like sore thumbs!