What are your tapas tactics?

El Gato Negro is the only place where I have felt I have done tapas correctly. Even in Spain I always feel rushed mainly because we nearly always have places to go/people to see.

2 Likes

Have you tried Levanter and the pintxos place in Ramsbottom?

1 Like

This has been top of my wishlist for ages, looked at going on a Wednesday when the steam train runs.

Best tapas, well, pinxtos have been in San Sebastian. No surprise there, is there. But man, what a weird and wonderful city of food that is.

3 Likes

Lunya was decent. For a British tapas place I mean.

The Manchester one has gone out of business after the virus.

Yeah I read. Shame. Think I recall Evuna being decent, but it was a while ago when I went and it was during Carefully Planned so I would have been drunk.

1 Like

one tapas = one respect

5 Likes

Did this in Seville and can confirm it’s brilliant

Pop here for a bit of iberico ham
Over there for some anchovies on bread
Pop in this little place for a croquette

Each time VINTO TINTO

1 Like

Fuck me I really wanna go for tapas now

1 Like

Is San Seb decent even if you don’t like fish?

Wanted to go for a while, but dunno if it would be a wasted trip if i’m strictly no surf.

They do great seafood but you wouldn’t be missing out and a lot of the best pintxos I had didn’t have any seafood. (It’s worth going to even if not for the food anyway)

1 Like

Yeah, i want to do a couple of weeks mooching from the Basque corner of Spain right along the north coast up to Gijon maybe.

Nowt much of note beyond that i’ve heard.

tapas: good, sometimes very fucking good

also this thread has given me the most incredibly vivid pictures in my head of properly drinking out in public again

fucking hell, I’d pay such an obscene amount for a session on the continental lagers with some mates :sob:

1 Like

I’d agree with this. It’s quite clogged with tourists these days, though, although typing this I realise I’m being properly hypocritical complaining about somewhere being full of tourists while I was there on holiday.

Yeah, don’t think I’ve really even eaten fish during any of my trips there despite liking it. As with most Spanish food veggie options are limited and vegan even more so but as its like the gastronomical heart of Spain/Europe you are spoiled for choice. If you eat meat then I’m sure you’ll likely adore txuleta. And failing that just eat burnt cheesecake from La Viña for every meal. Excuse me whilst I drool.

Go off season and lighten the overtourism load :ok_hand:t3:

As the weather can be a bit hit and miss anyway I’ve always gone early May or mid September and been lucky to have sun, and no huge hoards of tourists but still very lively with Spanish tourists and locals.

1 Like

I’d recommend flying into Biarritz and starting from there if you do

Yeah, those are probably the best times to go. I went in early June (about 2 years ago), when it was just starting to get busy.

Really irks me that the Manchester to Biarritz flight was discontinued (sure that’s not the right word) as it was by far the best way to get there. That said it did mean getting to swoon over that gorgeous airport at Bilbao last time.

I’m trying to be flight-free from now on, but I think it’ll be a great overland journey!