What do you do to support the music you love?

Thought this little list was a great conversation starter

I still buy it.

7 Likes

What does ‘pre-save their music’ mean? Am I old now?

Before an album or track comes out, you can save it with a clever link that pings you a reminder when it’s released. This sends signals to Spotify’s algorithm, which also augments their editorial decision, to potentially give the track more support.

It’s a very major label thing but you’ll probably now notice artists asking you to pre-save a stream from now on.

1 Like

Love how some fella has turned this into me being evil

https://www.facebook.com/100057450611120/posts/354532956471722/?d=n

I think one thing that’s overlooked is that you could try and negatively impact rival bands of those you love. For example, I’m currently trying to plant members of War On Drugs at the Jan 6th protest in Washington to help out one of my favourite bands The Besnard Lakes, who might get more interest if The War On Drugs are cancelled

18 Likes

I buy the music I like.
I buy tickets to see the acts I like when they tour.
I buy their merchandise.
I recommend the stuff I like to others and encourage them to check it out.

I guess a lot of us on here do that and I guess that’s how DiS supports musicians.

7 Likes

i buy it lol

1 Like

Good news for local dealers tbf

1 Like

I write ‘good to see other people still have musical taste!’ in YouTube comments for their songs

3 Likes

If someone asks what music I like, or what gigs I’m going to, I respond with ‘you wouldn’t have heard of them’. Making the artist seem more enigmatic and cool and therefore boosting their value

10 Likes

Whistle their tunes thus planting them in the public subconscious.

3 Likes

Buy it.
Put on gigs.
Promote it.
Play it to other humans when I have them trapped (mostly car, occasionally dungeon)

3 Likes

buy it
go to gigs

Superliminal marketing

6 Likes

Unfortunately the only physical music I buy nowadays are the CDs that are the entry for gigs at Rough Trade.

I do go to far more gigs than a man at my age should and buy merchandise that I rarely would wear.

2 Likes

play it in Music League and force 40 or so other DiSers to listen to it

2 Likes

Fucking hell that’s a bit much eh

1 Like

post about it on myspace and bebo.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth the various threads that go on in DiS do promote so many bands. I haven’t met too many DiS-ers but know a lot of their music preferences and styles.

The number of bands I’ve got into and seen as a result of a recommendation here is huge. I probably spend a few hundred quid a year on gig tickets and then merchandise as a direct result of DiS band recommendations.

1 Like