What do you not know what it is

I don’t think I properly understand it but it’s like the very fast movement of almost mass less particles kind of like a sand blaster

1 Like

Oh yeah, let’s revive how do wings work (NOT the rolling runway thing, that was not worth the effort). Is it the Bernoulli Principle alone? Is it something else? What’s up with wings (no Paul McCartney jokes)?

Different kind of cool tho, not as magical

I can’t get my head around the fact that an egg is a single cell.

1 Like

Wait what

Oh hang on it sort of obviously is, isn’t it? Membrane, the middle bit that I’ve forgotten the name of, nucleus. That’s a fucking big cell

Yep. Ostrich eggs are the largest cell in the world.

1 Like

I think it will always be beyond my comprehension :frowning:

Sleep - what’s going on there?

Why is ice slippy? Not something I care about particularly, but apparently no one knows why it is slippy!

3 Likes

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

If I really understood it I’d be able to explain it. And I can’t really. So I don’t think I get it either

1 Like

I studied physics at uni, so i could verbally explain how a mirror works and what light is, but understand it? No i don’t actually understand it

2 Likes

Everything is particles (theoretically) and light particles (photons) can be generated by various sources, so the sandblaster analogy (cf @the_ravens) is entirely correct, because a photon source like a star fires out bajillions of these little sand bits and your eye can interpret them as light, which is super cool.

Also, because particles and waves are the same, theoretically, it’s very much like how a sound wave affects your ear (? I think ?). Idk, gonna tap out and call for backup at this point

1 Like

Eyes

• Do I not know what that is!
  • I know what that is I do

0 voters

The best I can manage is crap analogies for how it behaves in certain situations

1 Like

If this is even half right I’m giving myself a gold star

The current handball and offside rule according to those Malcolms in Stockley Park fnar

• Do I not know what that is!
  • I know what that is I do

0 voters

Gels, like toothpaste

1 Like

Also really enjoying people trying to explain light ITT. Please keep going

2 Likes

Sound waves are compression waves of air (or other material) so not quite like light I think