What do you want to be when you grow up?

This is the third in a weekly series where I, Jonathan Frakes, ask the Drowned In Sound community questions taken from the show Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction which I hosted from 1998 - 2002.

• As an adult, I am doing the thing that as a child I wanted to be when I grew up
  • As an adult, I am not doing the thing that as a child I wanted to be when I grew up

0 voters

Tell us more about what that thing is, and why you think your life followed, or didn’t follow, that path.

As a kid I wanted to be a “scientist” and I’m doing a physics PhD so so far so good

1 Like

As a child I wanted to be a palaeontologist, but I’ve wanted to be an architect since I was about 12, so I’m not sure what I should select in the poll.

I don’t think I ever really knew. Went through occasional phases like pilot or something, but no career I actually passionately wanted to do, it was like I’d just come out with pilot cos it felt like an answer you’d give to that type of question.

I think I wanted to be a cop when I was a kid.

Stupid little prick.

6 Likes

This question has come up previously.

Child: Formula One driver
Adult: can’t drive

15 Likes

Retired

3 Likes

Data twat

You don’t need to be able to drive on the road to be an F1 driver, the dream isn’t over yet

I wanted to be a vet, did my work experience in a vet surgery in year 11 and it was smelly and tiring and I realised I’m not cut out for it

6 Likes

Still not a lotto lout

7 Likes

Actually wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid but if you’d offered me train driver instead, I’d have accepted the offer.

2 Likes

Think this is the common answer among the Brotherhood of the Spreadsheet.

I’m doing what I want to so now, which is a job that pays well enough and takes up a small enough amount of my time that I can do all the things I want to do outside of work.

5 Likes

I really really hate Formula One.

4 Likes

Sort of in that I was a writer for a while in my last few roles, I sometimes write freelance, and it’s still a big part of what I do at work though unofficially.

Absolutely tedious though innit. What a foolish child I was.

Agitator

6 Likes

I wanted to be a chip shop lady.

On reflection, I should have trained as a social worker rather than a teacher before I had kids. Couldn’t commit to it now but all the jobs I love the look of ask for a social work qualification. As it is I work in an adjacent field but not adjacent enough to qualify me for any of the roles.

The dream might be over then

1 Like

No, you’re thinking of Brent Spiner

8 Likes

That’s living the dream. I’m jealous.

3 Likes