What do you watch or listen to whilst working? 🎼🖥️

Appreciate there are many people who cannot background listen/watch or worse still, have no control over what the background listening/watching is :slightly_frowning_face:

I tend to work better with background instrumental music - I tend to visualise lyrics so I will only really have music with words (there’s a word for that right?) if I’m doing a very simple routine task that requires little to no thought. Mostly that is inoffensive (oof) acoustic - records suggest Nathan Salsburg, James Elkington and Adeline Hotel get the biggest weekday rotation - or gentle classical (Satie, some Rodrigo, Debussy, Grieg etc). Basically nothing that risks spiking my stress levels or causing me to lose my train of thought.

Friday is my background sports day unless I have any intense work to do or lots of meetings - I’ll watch MotoGP practice sessions if it’s on, otherwise I’ll catch up on figure skating, ski jumping, climbing, other racing series or just whatever is on Eurosport/Discovery app.

I really envy people who can multitask (multithink?) enough to listen to podcasts whilst working.

I usually have some Music League rounds to vote on so that’s my first priority, then I’ll catch up with the new releases for the week and for the past few months I’ve had a new Residents album to listen to each week for @Yesiamaduck 's listening club. On friday afternoons I’ll normally stick on a boardgame review or one of The Dicetower’s top 10 countdowns on my second screen.

For the last year or so I was bad for having Limmy’s twich on during the day but it felt like 0my productivity went off a cliff because of it so I’ve been weaning myself off. Haven’t watched in a couple of months now.

1 Like

Weekdays if I’m at home I’ll normally have Limmy’s stream on in the background in the morning, that can be a bit distracting at times though. In the afternoons I put on music, I agree with you about instrumental music, so I normally try and pick something closer to ambient or film soundtrack stuff – recently been going through my Bandcamp library and trying to pick out albums I maybe didn’t listen to very much when I bought them.

Currently listening to this which I really like (it’s tagged on Bandcamp under classical and electronic):

1 Like

While doing focused work involving words I listen to ambient, electronic and classical stuff like Emeralds, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Ravel, Debussy and sometimes film soundtracks. For more brain-off stuff like plotting graphs or data processing I’ll often listen to a podcast. In the last hour before lunch/hometime I’ll sometimes put on a dance/house mix from SoundCloud or BBC Sounds or something.

2 Likes

When I need focus time I listen to Film/TV scores that I like mainly

3 Likes

Listening to an ambient / classical playlist I put together while I report write. I find it helps me keep focus and stops me getting distracted. If I’m doing some ‘clicking’ based work that doesn’t involve formulating words or sentences, then I’ll get a bit freer and listen to something with some lyrics. Current mix is:

3 Likes

This Morning and assorted daytime tv usually on mute

1 Like

Might steal this!

1 Like

Normally ambient / electronica / minimal techno. Sometimes just bung on whatever from the new music threads on a Friday. Most of my work needs a little bit of concentration so I find stuff without words best. I really want to get round to compiling playlists of my favourite stuff to work to but I don’t really have desktop access to spotify so I keep putting it off.

1 Like

Oooh, this is the perfect kind of thing for me!

1 Like

oh and when there’s an important bicycle race on, I’ll have that on instead

2 Likes

Did you watch Flanders the other day? I only caught a bit of it in my local bike cafe with my dad but even he was gripped!

i saw the defining moment while sat in the car (C was asleep in there) and then turned on the last 40km at home

tour of the basque this week, looks weirdly stacked. and of course Scheldeprijs today!!

1 Like

I can listening to just about anything while working, think I’m able to detach the part of my brain doing my job from the part listening to the music.

Can’t watch stuff while working though, I may as well not be working at all. Fucked this summer when the Euros is on.

This post paid for by PROF$.

4 Likes

On Spotify I use desktop so I usually find usermade playlists based on what artists I like are in and listen to them. on Tuesdays I do a playlist round up of new stuff.

While I’m working from home in a job I’m most likely leaving soon, if there’s nothing too complex required I usually put a film on in the afternoon which I don’t think I need to pay full attention to and then half watch/half work

1 Like

Like the look of this, will have a listen later.

This post paid for by PROF$.

Find stuff like this a godsend for just getting into a workflow zone and avoiding distractions. I’m too interested in music to listen to anything I’m invested in.

Feel a bit basic bitch because I feel like loads and loads of people use it

4 Likes

Usually Spotify - a mix of playlists I’ve made specially for that day, existing playlists, whole albums or just sticking my song library on shuffle. Almost always pop music because it motivates me, but when do i listen to anything that isn’t pop?

Sometimes, if I really need to concentrate on writing, I’ll listen to retro video game music on YouTube (Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Pokemon Red/Blue). I used to listen to the whole Hamilton soundtrack but it’s not as effective now.

I can’t listen to anything if I’m reading a report or seriously editing/proofreading. Get really annoyed by having to listen to my work podcast to request edits/social media snippets from our producer, or watching videos to request edits because i can’t listen to music

1 Like

Also on ambient/drone/minimal techno book. If I’m doing something truly mindless I can manage with lyrics or a podcast but if I need to think/write I can’t handle words.

Do love working from home when NJPW have shows on though. Japanese men slapping each other somehow helps my productivity.

1 Like

Also when I’m really lucky I can get my synths all set up at home and start fiddling with stuff to create evolving drones and randomised note patterns and just let that do it’s thing. Have a bit of a tweak when I’ve got a spare minute. Written a few tracks that way lately.

7 Likes