What Facebook thinks you like

For the chumps who have given in to being on Facebook-

If you go to https://www.facebook.com/ads/preferences it gives you all the things Facebook thinks you like and uses to choose adverts. Most of them are really weird.

It thinks I like exorcism, rituals, miracles, lasers, perfection, ruins and “cosmopolitan distribution”. For food I only like water and grapes. Therefore Facebook thinks I have mystical powers. My friend found he just had the word mammal and some animals like bats and chickens.

1 Like

Interesting how these things for individuals are so so wrong, but en masse, so right.

Can’t get my head round stuff like that #freaksmynut

They’ve largely nailed it in fairness to them (Randy Marsh aside (!?))

I like Hell and Poetry, apparently.

Correct on two out of eight. Someone needs to get fired over the “sports” suggestion, though.

1 Like

I just found that if you click on each interest you can see examples of ads targeted to that word.

fucking do love “television programme” to be fair

2 Likes

Education: surface runoff
Food: lemon
Hobbies: lonesome George

1 Like

aight then

7 Likes

TBF it’s got me pretty good in most areas, apart from thinking I like Mumsnet (I guess because I’m a married woman in her twenties). Explains all the ads I get for Clearblue pregnancy tests and playgroups.

I got fucking cycling weekly because of you chumps.

2 Likes

I’ve just deleted all of mine- will check back at some time in the future to see what it thinks I like now.

it thinks i like aluminium.

:smiley:

Ha Ha! Everybody knows you HATE aluminium. Stupid Facebook!

“rituals, miracles, lasers, perfection, ruins” sounds like something from a Borges story.

1 Like

Apparently I like “wax” and “mile”.

think it thinks i’m some sort of pound-shop rapper

3 Likes

Hobbies and activities :’)

10 Likes

There’s def some cause and effect there.

1 Like

knife

1 Like