What Films Are You Watching? May 2023 🎞️ 🎥

Slacking off, damn Sopranos binge

Watched 10 in April - best Polite Society, worst Twilight New Moon. A bunch of solid 3/5s mainly

Off to see Return to Seoul tomorrow, excited for that. Been a while since I saw something off the back of just a trailer, having seen no other chat about it

1 Like

This was my April

As ever, I watched some great things, some good things, some ok things, some bad things and some dreadful things

2/5 for Moonstruck might be the saddest thing I’ve ever seen, ffs Ant

4 Likes

Couldn’t believe what I was seeing tbh. People LOVE that film and I was so up for loving it but it is unfortunately quite bad. Fuckin’ Green Book was probably a less offensive caricature of Italian Americans.

I think it was the combination of it being acerbic but also really broad caricatures. Either one of the two can work but the two together just felt mean-spirited to me.

Nic Cage - Dreadful in it
Cher - A bit all over the place (but hot as hell)
Olympia Dukakis - Really good, rescues the thing from being a complete disaster

Incredibly consistent month for 6/10s with a mild uptick at the end to cap it off.

Seeing Raging Bull for the first time in the cinema this afternoon. A lot is riding on it.

1 Like

It’s a 5/5 - maybe my fav Cage has ever been

1 Like

Does anyone else watch films almost exclusively at the cinema?

1 Like

I go through periods but also slack off majorly. Flatmate hates the cinema as well, so anything with them will be guaranteed home watch

Only logged 3 films in April but definitely watched more. Raging Bull was the best one, Dog Day Afternoon a close second

2 Likes

I used to pre-Covid. Still go loads when my partner can come with but when she’s away on work is when I rinse through them at home like there’s no tomorrow

best: joint security area, aguirre the wrath of god, steve jobs, the handmaiden

worst: operation fortune, trance

2 Likes

Remember being really taken with Steve Jobs, glad it holds up

sorkin directed by someone who isn’t sorkin is usually pretty good imo

4 Likes

Was away for the second half of the month so have lots of catching up to do on my weekly challenges.

2 Likes

Saw: Letterboxd says 20 but I went to a short film fest where some didn’t have Letterboxd pages so I couldn’t log them

Best of April: How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Godland, Quo Vadis, Aida?, The Big Lebowski, Charade, Whisper of the Heart, Powernapper’s Paradise (short film fest)

Worst: Nobody,

85 days left until Barbie Movie!

this was showing at my local film fest and I really wanted to see it but none of the screening times worked for me, going to wait until it’s on The Mubi

1 Like

Need to knock a star off Rye Lane

My April bests:

The Night of the 12th
One Fine Morning
Midsommar
After Yang
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Steve Jobs
Billy Elliot
Bergman Island

1 Like

Really need to start tracking my film viewing, my brain doesn’t seem to retain things very well.

Best April viewings: One Fine Morning, Polite Society, Evil Dead Rise

Best rewatch: Ratcatcher (this film really holds up!)

Most disappointing: Women Talking

Got way too sucked into tv and games in April. Very fortunate that I get to go to Cannes for work at the end of this month, so I am looking forward to hoovering up some quality films there

3 Likes

Yeah mostly. They’re just not as good when you watch them at home imo

3 Likes