What films are you watching? May 2024 📽 🎞 📽

new month, more films, onwards forever :chart_with_upwards_trend:

will actually get to the cinema more this month, April was kinda barren for me sadly. Still behind on Civil War and TSTF ™

Watched: 8 new
Rewatches: Jaws, To Live and Die in LA, They Live, Moneyball (what a run)
Best: A League of Their Own, Crimson Tide
Worst: Species (though was half asleep and drunk for most of it)

MMOTM - when Naomi Watts was following instructions from her dead son’s voice recording to build a sniper rifle to kill their neighbour and it was played out like a real conversation with the dead son saying stuff like ‘I know its a lot of money but no need to curse Mom’ and ‘not that right, the next one’ in Book of Henry

2 Likes

Total: 17

best: Dune pt 2, Roman Holiday, When Harry Met Sally, Before Sunset, The Worst Person in the World (rewatch), Love Lies Bleeding, PlayTime, Uncut Gems (rewatch)

worst: La La Land (didn’t find the music particularly memorable)

1 Like

Really enjoyed how good When Harry Met Sally was first time I saw it, assumed it would have aged badly (though still don’t agree with the basic message)

2 Likes

17 watched in April (all new to me).

Best: Io Capitano, The Teacher’s Lounge and Trenque Lauquen.
Worst: The trouble with Jessica and Wicked little letters.
MMOTM: The cinema whooping with delight at various points during Immaculate.

1 Like

best: on the waterfront
worst: madame web
my movie moment of the month: every single thing george c scott does in dr strangelove

2 Likes

penelope cruz not getting an oscar nom for ferrari is incredibly rude btw, hope someone got fired for that blunder

1 Like

MMOTM - Dev Patel training montage in Monkey Man soundtracked by hand drums and wolf whistles

(Also so so many things in To Live and Die in LA, though as a rewatch this feels unfair. But … young Grissom jumping over every bench he can, running along the escalator in the airport, the wrong way motorway chase scene, the needless full frontal … what a film)

Cruz should be the default for all awards until proven otherwise

1 Like

My Movie Moment of the Month was Denzel getting it right in the most emphatic way in Crimson Tide

3 Likes

My MMM was watching Spirited Away and Totoro with my little cousins after showing them the soot wisp I’m xstitching. They really liked them both

11 Likes

I didn’t see a lot but had quite a lot of movie momentS OTM

I want to play tennis tonight but I also want to see the sexy tennis film. This is a living nightmare

2 Likes

Civil war is probably a 1 star film - cause of some tense action. I thought about it so much though and gave it more stars.

I couldn’t really believe it wasn’t being bad on purpose. Like he actually used Andy Ngo and Helen Lewis in the production seriously and wasn’t doing that as a laugh or a funny self critique thing. I think there’s still time for Alex Garland to come out and say it’s bad on purpose and he’s not a loser but I think he spent less time thinking about the film than I did. I’ve kind of forgotten about it now though and never got round to seeing it again

2 Likes

Monkey Man and the First Omen have the same posters

2 Likes

Went to see That They May Face The Rising Sun the other night. It’s based on a John McGahern novel that I studied for A level English Lit. I remember very little about the book now other than the general vibe so I have no idea how close the adaptation is but I enjoyed it.

Picked the book up in a charity shop for my mum who’s taken an interest in it so maybe I’ll re-read it at some point after her. Might offer to go and see the film with her if she can’t convince my dad to go but I might not be down home for another few weeks.

1 Like

Three stars for The Heartbreak Kid has killed me there, mate

victim of expectation i think, would have liked it more if i went in cold. as it was, i was certain i’d love it and ended up really underwhelmed. sorry!

Never apologise to me for anything ever again in your life

1 Like