What Films Have You Been Watching? April Edition

Might watch it again. It was pure joy for 2 hours.

And it must be a shoe in for next years animation Oscar.

(And bizarrely the title music was by Los Campesinos. So extra indie points for the film there.)

The bit with the evil Furbies made me giggle like a child.

2 Likes

Someone declared Creed 2 was their favourite film of all time in an ice-breaker/round the room thing in a meeting at my work once

Watched Sound of Metal last night and thought it was excellent. Riz Ahmed was just brilliant. Was reading after that they only did two takes per scene. I liked the middle section as he “learned to be deaf” - also appreciated why my husband stopped wearing his hearing aid - I hadn’t realised how difficult it would be to hear when all noises are amplified and it portrayed that really well.

Just spotted Nomadland (while watching Hamilton yet again) on Disney+ so that might be tonight’s viewing.

3 Likes

Will remember this and stick a tenner on as early as possible, see what odds I get!

Sadly, Pixar have at least one film out (Luca) so they win by default.

2 Likes

They managed to beat Pixar with Spider-verse. And having seen the trailer for the new Pixar effort I still feel confident they’ll win.

So Nomadland…thought it was a bit boring. I mean ,it was well made and acted but a bit more narrative would have been nice.

I’ve not seen the father yet but my best picture Oscar would have gone to Minari.

Massive thanks to @MrSibson and everyone who has been lauding this film in this thread! Managed to get my family to watch it despite the protests of my teenage kids who thought it looked way too young for them. It wasn’t, they absolutely loved it.

5 Likes

Another big thumbs up for The Mitchell’s Vs the machines. Very funny, very silly and punched me right in the feels in places.

1 Like

After watching Mitchells vs the Machines last night we watched Spiderverse again tonight before it disappears off Netflix.

It’s still an astonishing piece of work.

2 Likes

This but for The Mitchells vs The Machines

3 Likes

Oh and the other thing to say about the Mitchells vs the Machines is that I absolutely love how the central character is gay without the film being about how the central character is gay. It’s just a detail like she wears glasses, she doesn’t have to discover who she is or battle for acceptance, it’s just there.

Didn’t make a massive deal to my queer teenagers at the stage of their lives they’re at right now but I can imagine that kind of representation and normalisation would have been really powerful four or five years ago when they were coming out and so on.

2 Likes

The Mitchells vs The Machines is definitely excellent (and it’s also definitely May)

2 Likes

I guess I’ll be watching The Mitchells vs The Machines today or tomorrow then.

2 Likes

Is it an Eastenders spin off?

2 Likes

The might have got some new equipment for The Arches that they find difficult to operate.

1 Like