What Films Have You Been Watching? August 2021

I watched The Lie and what an absolute oddity that is

A father is taking her daughter to a dance contest when they spot the girl’s friend on the side of the road travelling to the same thing. They pick her up and a few minutes later, she’s disappeared with the daughter saying she pushed her off a bridge. The rest of the film shows her and her parents attempts to deal/cover up what’s happened

It’s one of the weirdest played films I’ve seen. The set up is quite good and the film plays quite well on the psychological aspect of it. But then there’s some utterly baffling story choices, a completely out of place police character and you spend the whole thing thinking ‘well that wouldn’t happen’. It really is a wild range of emotions while watching. I don’t even know if I can recommend it as it’s not so bad it’s good, but it is quite good but also rubbish at the same time? Very odd, but it’s on Prime so worth a watch as you won’t be bored

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I saw them last year. The Lie and three others were released at the same time or within a week of each other.

Nocturne and Black Box were the better ones.

Oh I didnt realise it was part of that thing, might explain why some places have it classed as a horror when it isnt at all

I found it to be unbearably smug and contrived. This is a good comment on romcoms

4 Likes

fyi you put this in the wrong thread man

2 Likes

If that’s the case, and I’m skeptical, I feel like it’s trying to have its cake and eat it too. It’s played sufficiently straight to just read as a quirky romcom about an unbearable dickhead and a manic pixie dream girl. It’s between this and Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist for the worst of That Bunch of films imo

1 Like

That’s an interesting and convincing read of the film and if I hadn’t hated it so much I’d rewatch it through that lens.

1 Like

anyone got that french haneke bluray box? trying to decide if it’s worth it for the amount of them that have english subtitles.

Watched Saint Maud while I was on holiday last week.
Fuck me, I thought it was really really good but it creeped me the fuck out. Like so bad. I do mind admitting, but will anyway, that I was too scared to go upstairs on my own afterwards. The night we watched the film AND the following night.
There was way more sinister stuff than this bit but when the dying woman’s face suddenly contorts into that ghoulish devil just before Maud kills her is still haunting me occasionally, 7 days later. When films do that it really fucks me up.

2 Likes

Does Jennifer’s Body deserve the reappraisal it starting getting a few years back? Guess I’ll find out

2 Likes

Saint Maud was a movie that stuck with me for some time after too, it was on my mind for several weeks. Truly haunting.

2 Likes

And that’s just it being filmed in Scarborough

2 Likes

Saint Maud… have I mentioned…no, I won’t this time

2 Likes

what? pray tell

watched it for the first time this year, pretty great film!

Had a great run over the last few days: AI: Artificial Intelligence (Spielberg), Pickpocket (Bresson), Tree of Life (Mallick), Land of Silence and Darkness (Herzog) and Safe (Haynes). Loved them all apart from Safe which has an amazing first half but the second really lets it down.

Erm…erm…I think Saint Frances is better than Saint Maud. Completely different genres but Saint Frances was the better Saint film from last year.

1 Like

yeah definitely solid! Don’t think it had quite the depth some of the more recent re-reviews put forward, but also wasn’t nearly as surface and trashy as the sniffy sexist reviews at the time said

just a good fun high school indie rock poisonous female friendship horror time

1 Like

Diva (1981) is quite a ride

1 Like