What Films Have You Been Watching? August 2021

Recently watched:

Pikadero - I see that Ben Sharrock has got some great reviews for his new film Limbo. This one of his is a Basque indie film where Joseba Usabiaga and Barbara Goenaga Bilbao are a young couple but due to lack of money they live with parents and can’t find anywhere to have sex. A film about people’s aspirations and having different goals etc.
A bit too slow paced for me although I realise that was the intention due to the script and style of filming. Good reviews but not great for me 4.5/10.

Heaven Knows What - From directors Benny and Josh Safdie of Good Times and Uncut Gems. This one follows Arielle Holmes who’s the lead actress and whose life and book this film is based on. She’s a heroine addict in New York and is about her and her friends who are also victims of addiction. She unconditionally loves Caleb Landry Jones who’s no good for her. Enjoyed reading about this film and the leads. Similar in vain to Good Times which I loved and this is perhaps even better. Bleak, brutal and brilliant filmmaking. 8.5/10.

The Human Voice - Pedro Almodóvar short. Tilda Swinton’s almost the only person in this film and nearly all of it is filmed in her flat. She’s abandoned by her partner and the film is about her monologue on the phone to him. Based on Jean Cocteau’s play (didn’t know before I watched) and is very much like watching theatre on TV. Great use of colour and a great set. Enjoyed it but didn’t quite click. 6/10.

Archive - British sci-fi film where scientist Theo James’ wife Stacey Martin dies and he’s is an expert in robotics and AI. You can guess what happens. The premise inevitably reminded me of Keanu Reeves’ utterly shit film Replicas.
This one is a smart well made film though with no big explosions or big scenes. Pretty well thought out and worth looking into. 7/10.

To All The Boys: Always And Forever - Third part of the trilogy. Maybe they’ll make another. Again a very good coming of age film in a very strong series. 8/10 and I’ll give the trilogy a 8.5/10.

A Ghost Waits - A brilliantly unique indie ghost romantic comedy drama

A handyman is employed to fix and clean up a house and try and work out why the tenants keep leaving. Turns out that the place is haunted and the female ghost who’s haunting it is herself employed by an agency from the other side to keep people out. The handyman and the ghost hit it off. I won’t say anymore and I don’t want to spoil it for others.

Looks lovely filmed in black and white and doesn’t waste any of its short 79 minute length. Definitely worth putting on your watch list. 8.5/10.

Just rewatched A Few Good Men for the first time in about 15 years. It’s very good, lots to enjoy there, hasn’t aged too badly really. Rob Reiner made a lot of good films in the past didn’t he.

3 Likes

There’s a whole thread to get stuck into if you want

1 Like

Yeah I had a quick look at his list
and I realise I have never seen The Sure Thing so I’m unsure if Spinal Tap up to A Few Good Men represents an unbroken run but definitely from Stand By Me.

Pretty sure North is a howler. I thought I’d seen The American President but I think I’m confusing it with Dave. Still, it looks like maybe that was his last film to receive big acclaim.

1 Like

Watched the Wolverine film Logan on Disney+.

At no point in the entire length does the film’s plot really surprise you but it’s really good fun, I guess because the main cast is small and the characters are good and it’s really about their relationship rather than the plot (which is pretty baffling and silly, although maybe less baffling if I’d seen the X-Men films between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and this). If you enjoy an action film and haven’t bothered with it then I’d recommend it.

44 watched in July. Best probably Mahanagar (The Big City), worst undoubtedly The Sinners.

1 Like

I’m sorry I lost your set of steak knives

dunno why I love AFGM so much, typically hate that kind of play turned film sorkin nonsense but something about it is just. so. good.

2 Likes

yeah I didn’t get this at all either

Really cba with films atm. Enjoyed the Sparks doc last night, tho.

Was a very fun classic 80s teen thing when I saw it last time, with Cusack being as winning as always

But as always with that genre, could look very differently to me now, 5 years on

1 Like

Yeah, I thought it was pretty boring, and I’m annoyed that I watched it because Kermode said it was doing something interesting, when it wasn’t

I don’t know why I was listening to a Kermode and Mayo episode from… June? Earlier today. But it was the first time I’ve listened to any entire show/podcast from them since before the pandemic, and I haven’t been keeping up with watching his reviews on Youtube either.

Kermode felt a bit off. I mean, he’s always done that 'I saw a similar film a few months ago with a similar premise I’m just going to relentlessly compare this new film to that". For example, I remember the interview with Joe Cornish where Joe rightfully pulled him up on just talking about other movies with Nick Frost instead of Attack the Block. But when he was reviewing The Father, it felt like he was relentlessly comparing it to Relic (which I haven’t seen, to be fair) instead of looking at it on its own terms.

Then there’s the issue with Hereditary, where he obvious read one of the early reviews from Sundance or whatever saying "it’s the scariest movie since The Exoricist’ and then just shit on it because he was comparing it to his favourite film of all time

What’s the general consensus on Kermode these days? Is it worth checking out his reviews of stuff in the last year and half, or can I rest easy? Are there any lesser-known gems he’s picked out or has he just turned into a complete curmudgeon now?

Saw the Green Knight at the theater yesterday. It’s a visual spectacle. It’s going to be one of those movies where either you love it or hate it. There is not a frame out of place, every still is picture frame worthy. Dev Petel is fantastic as the lead. It meanders a bunch at times and could argue the script is a mess, but I loved it.

3 Likes

I like Kermode and find him good listening but his reviews are always like that now. Its often comparing to films he prefers. He always brings Relic into stuff, in some ways Mayo’s opinion is more interesting as he is more unpredictable

Think that makes him sound far too negative for a guy who’s pretty relentlessly positive about new films and how good current cinema can be

Not saying he doesn’t compare films too often, just don’t think it’s done in a way to put down other pieces of work that often

1 Like

Dullard. Detest that Wittertainment bollocks, relentlessly middle class.

4 Likes

The only podcast worth listening to tbh

Does Mayo still pull him up when Kermode makes references to film that only he (IE Kermode) and about three other people remember, and Mayo acts on behalf of the listeners going "er what? and then Kermode momentarily tries to backpedal and forgets he has a listening audience and turns into Peter Kay going “oh you, know, remember that episode of Play for Today where…?”

Those were always my favourite parts.

Film podcast or podcast overall? Either way you’re mad wrong

Dunno why I’m going hard on the Kermode defence train haha but he absolutely isn’t this, like I said he’s at the very least very into and positive about the quality of films out now and the talent of modern actors and directors. He’s nowhere near a “well back in the golden era of cinema” type wanker (unlike half of this thread :wink: )

3 Likes

Literally the only podcast I listen to regularly