What Films Have You Been Watching? December 2021

I’m going to be VERY hungover on Sunday so it might be the time to try it

2 Likes

IF ONLY

1 Like

Can’t really remember 5.

6 is surprisingly good, definitely the best of the second trilogy.

7/3D is hot garbage. They ditched the cinematographer who did most (maybe all) of the others, so it lost that dingy declining city atmosphere and looked like a network TV pilot.

The two newer ones are both pretty decent, although do very little you won’t have seen before.

(Although if you only thought the original was 2.5 :star: s, I… more power to you for plugging through any of the sequels)

I’m a stringent marker. 2.5/5 is a ‘decent enough film’

2 Likes

A corker to start Dec

The Summit Of The Gods (Netflix) 4/5
:mountain_snow: A thoughtful and meditative beaut of an animation. Nails the awe and unfathomable drive / obsession of these people so well and does so in a narrative that both adds the weight of history and a sense of impending dread. Reminiscent of Dune where is has moments so breathtaking that they seem wasted on a TV. Really hope it makes the cut on the Oscars nomination list as it more than deserves it …does Pixar/Disney really need 3 of the 5 spots?

Recently watched:

Petite Maman - My first visit to The BFI since March 2020, booked my usual seat and forgot how much I enjoy the cinema experience.

The film was great. Loved the premise, the colours used, the filming and the laughter between the two girls. Yet another film for Sciamma to add to her brilliant filmography. I’ll give the film 8.5/10 and will add 0.5 as I enjoyed it that little bit more as I was actually at a cinema.

Coming Home In The Dark - A family in New Zealand go out to the secluded countryside and encounter two psychopaths. It’s obviously been done many times before. This one is intentionally very nasty and those scenes are done well enough. For some reason it just didn’t grip me and I wasn’t too engrossed to care who lived and who didn’t. 5.5/10.

The Advent Calendar - Belgian horror. A girl who uses a wheelchair get an old, creepy looking advent calendar as a gift from her friend. The calendar has rules; obey them or you’re dead.
Doesn’t go for any huge scares or jumps. Starts off well but then runs out of ideas and steam. Slightly above average but not good. 6/10.

What is it, out of interest

It’s an aisle seat on the right hand side block. I’ll leave the exact seat a slight secret as I’m mysterious that way :shushing_face:

1 Like

The Night Porter…errrrr

1 Like

rewatched JFK tonight, completely made up parts of the story aside, what a fucking awesome film. all 3
hours and 25 minutes of it! surely the film with most ridiculous cast/cameos ever - john candy ffs!

1 Like

Really rated Pig in the end. Good slow opening but then wasn’t blown away by the next 20-30 mins and not sure about chef fight club

But after that I loved everything it did. The extent of the deep dive into foody culture was very enjoyable (have absolutely eaten stuff like the dish served at the lunch place :smiley: ), the pacing was unusual but it worked, the scene with the former restaurant worker and her new bakery was properly touching (and i share those feelings about fresh baguette too), and I started to really care for that obnoxious kid too. Felt like it built pretty organically at the end even if some of the crime-y bits felt a bit at odds with the rest of the tone. But was genuinely moved by the end and one of my fav recent musical endings to a film in recent times, along with Spencer

1 Like

Part way through Annette and I think I hate it. Load of old bollocks so far

This is one of the worst films I have seen in ages. It’s the utter pits

I watched The Power of the Dog today.

I really, really liked it. I feel like it’s one of those films that could cause a huge rift between a ‘critic pick’ and what a casual moviegover might think. I think I’m half way between those two things

I’m going to make a comparison that might make sense to nobody except me, but I found myself thinking about that Terrence Malick film from a couple of years ago (A Hidden Life?). I found myself watching that film and thinking “wow, this is beautiful and clearly well-done” but it absolutely bored the piss out of me in the cinema and I found myself checking the time on my phone (I saw it in the cinema) and worrying about whether I’d unplugged my iron or whatever.

Felt the opposite here - although people could argue that The Power of the Dog is either too slow, or too boring. I get that Cumberbatch is giving one of those performances where you’re thinking 'oh, when Phil’s not on screen, the audience is wondering ‘where’s Phil?’ but I think that’s a testament to how effective he is. I also thought that he, and the film could have leaned much more into how much of a monster he might be, but I felt like Jane Campion did a great job of reeling everyone in to be somewhat natural, and not too exaggerated versions of what the characters could be.

One of those films that although it’s slow and methodical (don’t mean that in a bad way, I just mean that there are a lot of directorial choices that really worked for me) but at no point was I ever bored. Far from it.

One of the best films of the year for me.

5 Likes

^ this, really good stuff. Took ages for the dog to turn up though.

2 Likes

Yeah I watched this today and didn’t like it. Way too long for what it is, bunch of people walked out

I genuinely ended up despising it. Normally love Leos Carax, thought the intro was great and then it was just interminable and up its own arse

1 Like

Lol can’t believe it’s taken me this long to watch the de-ageing scenes from The Irishman…
The scene between DeNiro and the shopowner :laughing:

3 Likes

as someone who has worked with some really mean cooks, I found it hilarious

Turned it off after that, couldnt believe they did it

1 Like