What Films Have You Been Watching? July Edition

hmm yeah I think it will be an acquired taste to be honest

proper sub-jared leto performance, that. baffling.

I watched Hunt for the Red October yesterday. Not the movie I expected (I thought there would be a lot more action) but better for it, I think. I liked all the things itā€™s famous for: stacked cast, the getaround with the Russian language issues, the cold war of it all.

Not a movie, but I found a video on Youtube containing every episode of ā€˜Over The Topā€™ a 1997 sitcom starring Tim Curry and featuring Steve Carell. Curry, looking like a cross between Nigel Farage and Jeremy Beadle, plays a former daytime TV actor who have to move into a hotel. run by his ex. Carell plays an embarassing Greek chef. J Peterman from Seinfeld crops in up one episode.

Only 11 episodes were ever made, and only 3 aired. It is mesmerising, almost breathtakingly awful

I (re)watched Shallow Grave last night for the first time in at least 15 years. I remember it being my favourite movie for a time, and over 1 or 2 years I watched it repeated (on VHS!), but havenā€™t revisited since. Went into it thinking it wouldnā€™t be as good/I wouldnā€™t enjoy it as much as I remembered cause of how it may of aged and nostalgia.

I actually really enjoyed it, as much as I remember (potentially more). feel like there are more things I ā€˜getā€™ now iā€™m in my mid-30ā€™s compared to late teens. Excellent, well executed, acted thriller with some great dark comedy moments and that endingā€¦

In summary, Iā€™m glad I rewatched. Bonus that it is on All4 too for free at the moment too!

6 Likes

thought the Manson Family Vacation would have worked a lot better if it involved a made up story rather than the Manson Family as it came across a bit like it was glamorizing it

1 Like

Had a lovely light Deerskin starter today before absolutely feasting on Summer of Soul. What a film, I was beaming from ear to ear and dancing in my seat.

1 Like

did you like Deerskin?

1 Like

Itā€™s such a shame that of the five prominent female characters in this film every single one of themā€™s role was to dote on/be in love with Martin Eden.
Looked lovely. Great music. Well performed and directed, butā€¦ nahā€¦ 3.1/5

Annoyed at myself I spent 2 hours 15 this evening watching Gosford Park

1 Like

It was a solidly amusing 77 minutes I thought. More 77 minute films please.

1 Like

I thought the ending missed a trick and would have been better if now that he had a full outfit made out of deerskin he was shot by someone far away/short sighted thinking he was an actual deer

But that is the gag. Just because itā€™s revealed to be something else doesnā€™t mean youā€™re not supposed to make that first connection

Fuck, thought I was a genius

1 Like

Absolutely love Shallow Grave. Watched it again recently and itā€™s probably in my top 20 films. Such awful characters, I love them.

3 Likes

I reckon Iā€™d probably put it in my top 20. My love for it has been rekindled. They are arenā€™t they, so unlikeable but work so perfectly in the story.

1 Like

I also did the Summer of Soul / Deerskin double bill this evening, SoS is a total treat though if I had a minor quibble I think I would have preferred a full concert film without the talking heads, although admittedly some of those are lovely.

Deerskin was my dessert and also hugely enjoyable. A good night at the movies.

4 Likes

Not even a soul act. Weird choice

2 Likes

Get out.

6 Likes

Thought that was a horror?

3 Likes

I hope they are restoring the whole recordings, it did feel a bit like ā€˜this is just the tip of the icebergā€™.

Personally I quite liked the interweaving with the archive footage and the talking heads. I think it was really well edited by genuinely having the music continue underneath. In that sense it really felt like a film directed by a musician, in a good way.

2 Likes