What Films Have You Been Watching? July Edition

Old is fucking wild. I think I loved it?

1 Like

Might watch short term 12 but worried I won’t understand it, as I’ve not seen any of the first 11

Enjoyed this one.

Brilliant cast and really well made.

Yeah really enjoyed it. Found it a bit overdone at points but overall very good. Brie Larson is brilliant in it

Going to watch Ghostbusters for the first time because my darling partner wants to watch it. Reckon I’ll hate it.

1 Like

Thought it clicked along pretty nicely for an hour then fell apart. Though obviously the stay puft marshmallow man is a 10/10 joke.

Hate Bill Murray and he always plays disgusting arseholes. Really grim watching that entire Sigourney weaver plotline.

5/10

Never seen it. Will not be trying to change that fact based on this

It’s better than Groundhog Day, but that’s about as much as I’ll say for it

I’m with you, hate that domestic abuser Bill Murray and think its a travesty he still gets work as much as he does

1 Like

Yep. Think there’s 2 things at play.

One that loads of 80s (and later) scripts have got vile, vile harassment as romance storylines

Another that Bill Murray is an awful, awful person who’s somehow still got this cult hero status.

How did it compare to Groundhog Day, Aggers?

The Breakfast Club made me feel dirty watching it, horrid

1 Like

Yeah that’s the worst one (not seen sixteen candles which is apparently also grim)

yeah I’ve not seen that either but heard of it and it’s staggering people will still give it a go form the sounds

Only saw the Breakfast Club recently and was baffled by the affection in which its held, found it completely unenjoyable. I’ve got a soft spot for some John Hughes stuff (primarily Planes, Trains and Automobiles), but can’t get on with anything where the main characters are teens.

1 Like

I’ve seen BC (relatively) recently and really don’t remember finding it much of an issue at all … this makes me want to watch again to see what I missed, if anything

16 Candles is absolutely awful on that front though, there is no question about that - Weird Science as well

Saw Memento for I think the third time, but been about a decade since my last watch

Still think it’s basically perfect, forgot how funny some parts are, how touching some of the parts about memory and perception are, and how the structure is actually integral rather than just a gimmick. Loses a tiny bit of steam with the exposition as the end, but still love it

Neo noirs rule

5 Likes

They do the same trick in Clear and Present Danger and I remember it took me a few seconds to understand what they’d done when I saw it in the cinema. I do love Hunt for Red October but I think CAPD is probably even better but it’s also fairly dark, not just from lacking the fun ham of Neill vs Connery.

We watched Cruella (2nd time for my wife and daughter) and what I will say is that I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, which is really down to a great cast and so forth, but man it’s pretty incoherent. I supposed they did the best they could given the premise. One part The Devil Wears Prada to three parts Ocean’s 11, mixed with a whole load of frantic writing to attempt to make her the ‘hero’ but at the same time not devalue her position as villain in 101 Dalmatians, but it completely fails because there’s really no way you could imagine running straight into original story but there’s a mid-credits that is essentially setting that film up in a couple years hence.

Anyway, it’s kind of like The Meg in that it’s fun to watch because of who’s in it and spectacle, as long as you don’t actually expect it to make huge amounts of sense.

There’s that bit where the guy goes under a table and essentailly assaults a girl but its passed off as ‘oh what a card he is’