What Films Have You Been Watching? June Edition

I saw that’s a new one on BFI Player. Another one to add to the ever growing list.

I really liked The Headless Woman. So much of the story/plot was implied and never shown or spoken. The main woman from what I remember was a calm, quiet woman although totally she was pretty ruthless in getting what she wanted.

I did too, Zama is a lot different though, it’s more of a period farce (until the grim ending). It has universal praise really so i’m definitely an outlier in what I think

I liked the book, but only watched half the film (forgot to come back to it rather than deliberately gave up on it, but I suppose that means I wasn’t especially into it)

edit: given I know the book’s ending is really good, maybe I will go back to it sometime…

1 Like

I’ve heard the books good too, I think the film is but just the setting and my dislike for that type of period thing really just meant it wasn’t for me as opposed to it being bad

1 Like

in everything he’s ever been in, love Gene.

6 Likes

Just FYI if you buy any lottery ticket this week (even just a scratch card) you can get 2 free cinema tickets for this weekend

https://www.weticketit.com/nlcw/booking/Event/detail/NLCW1920062021

1 Like

lots of catching up to do after a week (somewhat) off the grid

Mitchell’s vs The Machines: fine, wanted to/expected to like it more but it just didn’t quite do it for me. Fun and enjoyable and can see how good it could be for younger people but just didn’t do anything memorable for me. Also, slight irk that they made it totally obvious that our main character was queer, and yet we never got to see her with her love interest, while her kid brother got to have scenes with a girl he was into? Hmm, seems like a missed opportunity if nothing else, and the more cynical side of me feels like it’s a little bit queerbait-y

It Follows: first rewatch since I originally saw it on a tiny old CRT TV years ago. Just a great, atmospheric, dread-filled, creative horror. Really really great and has me all geared up to finally watch Under the Silver Lake (despite whatever the reviews say)

A Quiet Place II: still loads of plot holes (the son is useless), still a totally unnecessary film that didn’t add anything extra to the universe but also I’m clearly not yet bored of a mainstream film being this quiet, with this little dialogue, and this much sustained focus on tiny details and noises and sound editing. It’s just a real experience to see something like this on a big screen and be fully engaged and drawn in to a world - the scene where her hearing aid stops working briefly was amazing, was in a pretty full Vue screen and it was just complete silence. Hadn’t felt the impact of a one-off scene like that in a cinema since the kamikaze attack in The Last Jedi. Won’t be fussed if they end up making AQP3 but these two have been really interesting entries into the modern horror landscape

2 Likes

Did they not show them at the end, at college?

1 Like

Godzilla Vs Kong was showing in the screen next to the one I was watching A Quiet Place in and in that scene the Godzilla theme was blaring through quite amusingly/annoyingly

4 Likes

then while on holiday managed to finally catch The Shape of Water on actual live TV (somehow none of us had seen it before), then found Pan’s Labyrinth in a charity shop and felt like it would be a great time to finally get round to watching after about a decade of planning to, for a little GDT double bill

TSOW looked great and was pretty romantic, but didn’t leave much impact beyond that. Great monster design though, and as always Michael Shannon is just the best thing in every film he appears in. Really made me think of his wild, dangerously focused character from Boardwalk Empire. Has anyone said it was basically a better version of Splash though?

Pan though … fuuuck. Just excellent, well worth the wait and lived up to everything I knew about it (very little in the way of plot, but a lot in the way of reputation and good reviews). Always love serious, meaningful films that put children right at the centre of them rather than just using them as collateral damage or character motivations for adult characters (see: Florida Project) and this was right up there with the best of them. She was an amazing character, love how much sense of place and time there was, how it accounted for the scope and scale of it being a whole war while also making it clear we were only focusing on this one little enclave of action and all the subtle interplays between the characters.

Yet more amazing character design, the Faun actually stuck out a lot more to me than the Pale Man despite him being the image I used to associate with this film. Didn’t realise it was quite such a tragedy, so the ending took me completely by surprise and was very affecting. Also came out of it unsure if the magic and creatures were actually “real” or if it was all a child’s way of coping with the horrors of her life - love either reading, always good when a film can delicately handle that type of either/or balance.

Will absolutely be rewatching within the next few years, feel I’ll get even more from it second time around

1 Like

Please find a better way to spend 140 mins of your life. Clean your toilet, go to the dentist…

3 Likes

possibly, but still if that’s all they got in the whole film while the brother got multiple speaking scenes with his interest - feels a little off to me still

don’t want them to insert a scene just for the sake of it, as that wouldn’t be any better, just feel there was an organic way to show more of something which they clearly viewed as a significant aspect of her character

I guess, but think her character, and the character’s growth, depended on her feeling isolated, or not understood, within her family and pre-college setting. It’s why she’s embraced the pre-college videocalls so much, and why removing the opportunity to be at college during fresher’s week hurt.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to watch more lesser known older films and recently saw The Small World of Sammy Lee from 1963 which was excellent, plot wise very similar to Uncut Gems and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie in particular but I actually preferred it to both of them. Also saw Blow Up which was not what I was expecting at all, not sure if I liked it or not.

Nobody is so so so much fun. There’s a point where there’s a choice to stay a bit more grounded or just blast through and be uproarious. They choose the latter and it is considerably better for it. The finale is essentially perfect and the Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd, RZA team up brought me so much joy.

2 Likes

Shiva Baby: great fun, and nearly as stressful as Uncut Gems.

1 Like

Did love it when RZA showed up for the final reel - had clocked his name in the credits at the start, but forgot he hadn’t been in it.

2 Likes

A Song Called Hate - Brilliant documentary about Hatari, the 2019 Icelandic entry for Eurovision who waved the Palestinian flag. Really engaging look at the build up to the contest including visiting and meeting locals in Palenstine and the general dilemma they had leading up to it. Just little things I didn’t even comprehend before like, them having to literally cross the border to smuggle in the flags. Because of course you can’t find one in Israel, why would you? Great film. Was screening as part of a documentary festival but assume it will get some sort of release eventually.

2 Likes

ooo gonna go see this tomorrow then!

1 Like

Oh and there was a documentary about Idles advertised before it and it looks deeply embarrassing for all involved. Steve Lamacq as a talking head in the first five seconds, state of it.

1 Like