What Films Have You Been Watching? November 2021

Yeah it leaves a really sour taste. And yet … it’s stunning. But also… yeah. Weird, weird film.

1 Like

just finally watched Boys State, wow what a film. consistently defying expectations, incredibly frustrating but there are glimmers of hope at the same time. plus a raccoon falls in a bin at one point and someone plays Sandstorm on a french horn. 10/10

1 Like

So went to see Z at the French film festival last night - had never even heard of it before the programme came out, but my dad is a lifelong Francophile, so we always try to get to see at least one film in the fest

Holy shit was that great! I was expecting something good and powerful, but pretty worthy and po-faced - instead it was so damn fun and lively and energetic and punchy!

There was straight-up political violence and assault, then quickly flipping into classic French melodrama, then onto an almost farcical view of bureaucratic incompetence - regularly laugh out loud as you saw corrupt officials caught in lies, twisting to try and save their skin. Could see this had a huge influence on Death of Stalin, but with more heart. Had some lovely small character details too, like a thug for hire who just wanted a bigger home for his beloved birds. Great score too, not sure what the instrumentation waas but a lot of it put me in mind of a more upbeat version of the zither stuff from The Third Man

Brilliant ending that was pure tonal whiplash from despair to optimism to deadpan, surrealist resignation - Monty Python-esque with the list of banned items. See it if you have any interest in political thrillers at all - seems to be in Glasgow tomorrow and Belfast at the start of December

1 Like

Recently watched:

Ride - 80 minute long no brainer to watch at midnight with a drink. It’s about an Uber driver who picks up a dodgy bloke. Was expecting average and that’s what I got. 5/10.

Siren - Below average creature horror where a stag party go to a secluded house where they’re promised a wild time. Things go south quickly a bit like the film. 3.5/10.

Dreams - Akira Kurosawa’s collection of eight vignettes. Liked some more than others and has one with an unrecognisable Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh. 7/10.

Hard Target 2 - Sequel to the 90s Van Damme film. In this Scott Adkins kicks and punches various people hunting him down in a forest in Myanmar. Not as shit as I thought it would be. 5.5/10.

1 Like

I watched The Souvenir Part II and I loved it.

Watched CODA and Wolfwalkers which were both great, CODA is particularly affecting (about a girl whose entire family is deaf other than her).

Spinoff from VHs innit that Siren?

1 Like

Yeah. Saw VHS many years ago didn’t remember that segment but Wikipedia had it down as a spin off when j looked it up.

I remember the segment but at no point did i think it needed extending to a full length

looking forward to Hard Target 2, also noticed Adkins is in this as well:

2 Likes

What a load of bollocks Last Night In Soho is. Edgar Wright has made it on my 'won’t be watching owt by them again’list.

Best bit was Thomasin McKenzie deciding to sound like Frank Spencer throughout

Also we get it Edgar, you like music. No need to put your ipod on shuffle and have a new song come on every 5 minutes. Idiot

6 Likes

The Princess Switch 3 is out.

Never heard of those before. They look cheesy as hell and probably up my street. Anyone seen any of them?

1 Like

I’ve seen both!

For what they are they are pretty good Sunday afternoon films to stick on. A more ramped up version of a Channel 5 Hallmark Christmas film I’d say. If you’re into those cheesy films then I think you’ll enjoy them

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks.

I’m off today (before some terrible shifts at the hospital tomorrow) and am planning some varied viewing.

I’ll put The Princess Switch on today’s list.

On the topic of Christmas films, I’ve been stung twice by the last two I’ve watched recently.

Love Hard was absolutely terrible, so emotionally cold which is not what I want from a Christmas RomCom. The ending was just so unrealistic with absolutely no chemistry with the two. Hated the Die Hard and Love Actually references.

Office Christmas Party which I was soooo close to turning off but have a thing where I have to finish a film i’ve started. It went on for far too long and just had no point to it at all. One of those where you check how long is left because you feel like it should be done and there is still 45 mins left.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m usually an absolute sucker for those types of films but this one was just so cold for me. Just didn’t click with any of the characters.

Glad you liked it though!

1 Like

I’ll let you know how I get on with The Princess Switch.

Before we get into this I reckon maybe it should be its own thread

1 Like