Its very easy to cancel these people are just doing it wrong

2 Likes

Cage and Bresson top the 2022 pile, dream collaboration! :1st_place_medal:

1 Like

Which one are you

• Padraic
  • Colm

0 voters

I voted Colm by mistake, I meant Siobhan.

3 Likes

If you do the Mubi offer via Amazon Prime. You can just cancel it via your Amazon subscriptions. Really easy to cancel. However you canā€™t watch on the mubi app just through Prime.

1 Like

Others have covered it as being fine and Iā€™ve not had any issue with payments, other option if youā€™re ever unsure is to use PayPal as you can easily cancel pre-approved payments on their side which would prevent a future renewal from taking place.

Watched Bloodsport this morning to start the New Year off right. You want to talk about cinema at its finest, here you have it.

5 Likes

Cow (BBC iPlayer) 2.5/5
:cow2: Finding it especially hard to formulate thoughts to write hereā€¦ It feels notably elongated to build the connection further, but maybe could work better as a 30 min short. There are undoubtedly some striking and extremely harrowing moments with an ambiguous (but not really) framework, but the whole thing just feels kinda off.

A Matter Of Life And Death (BBC iPlayer) 4.5/5
:coffin: One of the only ā€˜classicā€™ films shown on BBC2 over this festive period I hadnā€™t seen beforeā€¦and what a treat! I know theyā€™re rightly regarded in film circles, but from the evidence iā€™ve seen The Archers should really be semi household names. Breathtaking beautiful, audaciously ambitious, hugely entertaining, delightfully British, wonderfully written and life affirming. Pretty remarkable that this and Itā€™s A Wonderful Life came out in the same year.

Pinocchio (Netflix) 3.5/5
:wood: A bit lower than the consensus due to finding the little lad slightly more annoying than endearing, also the whole thing was a tad too long with a rather messy structure. Obviously the detail and design are utterly incredible with magical music and songs that blend beautifully with great varied voice work on top. Ewan was easily the MVP.

Pinocchio: Handcrafted Cinema (Netflix) 2/5
:cricket: Fun and informative enough DVD extra.

Mogul Mowgli (BBC iPlayer) 3.5/5
:microphone: Clearly a deeply personal work and the surreal elements really broke it up in a unique way.

2 Likes

Living is good. They should make more british films that are like japanese films

Like to think Iā€™m a Colm but really Padraic

Going to start trying to keep up with and post in this thread this year.

So:

White Noise The book didnā€™t do much for me, but I wanted to see what Baumbach did with the film. Hm. Overlong, flabby and with dialogue that seemed to be aiming for the deadpan of Stillman or Lanthimos, but failing. The best bit was the dance during the end credits.

Rewatch the Malcolm In The Middle episode ā€˜Evacuationā€™ instead.

Agree on this, especially the dancing at end credits being the best part. I was enjoying the start, especially the early family scenes but struggled as it went on.

1 Like

First cinema of the new year - finally catching up with Triangle of Sadness

Good fun, step down from the last two but very enjoyable, and loved the needle drops of Fred Again and Refused. Too long and the third section was probably the weakest? But I got plenty of joy from Boaty McVomit and Marxist Woody so itā€™s all good

Also finally decided to use Letterboxd right and actually log and review things - before Iā€™d just been marking them as watched and manually adding them to lists for each year, silly

Was annoyed that Iā€™d seen the trailer for this as spoilt a few moments, normally good at avoiding them. Enjoyed it on the whole and agree the third act felt the weakest. Thought the early boat scenes were great and the mix of people was perfect. Was a big fan of the the sails are dirty, can you not clean the sails part

Also was shocked to see that Charlbi Dean who played Yaya died not long after the release.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/heylucymay/status/1609665559091908609?s=46&t=Bwdbwp3ZNMnz7nYVHtcx2g

Watched Der Kaiser this afternoon, the Franz Beckenbauer biopic by Sky Germany (itā€™s on Sky Go/Demand) and itā€¦ wasnā€™t very good tbh. Massively glosses over and in some cases even celebrates some of the shitty things heā€™s done, is a very passive re-telling of his career (up until 1990 so lol donā€™t expect any of his dodgy dealings with Bayern, DFB and FIFA post that) and even the uglier bits they do show it pretty much just shrugs at. The retro-fitted FX swing wildly from passible to really quite bad in places too.

Still, it was nice to practice my german for an hour, 45 I guess.

Cc. @Owensmaterob re

1 Like

How about compared to Shoplifters? Only one of his Iā€™ve seen, and I loved it tbf

The Great Green Wall (Together TV) 2.5/5
:deciduous_tree: Was coming to this for data, logistics and intergovernmental politics - wasnā€™t expecting the musical road trip across Africa element.

This Is The End (File) 1/5
:comet:My first pick for the 2023 Weekly Movie Challenge with the criteria of watching something that was based on a previous shortā€¦and not the best start. Seems to have some love, but found it utterly unbearable. A fantastic example of spending all the money on the cast and using the spare change on absolutely everything else. The ā€˜Pineapple Express 2ā€™ DIY trailer bit was by far the best part and iā€™ve never even seen the original!

Spiderhead (Netflix) 2/5
:spider:Kinda already forgot this. Hemsworth is super charismatic though.

1 Like