1st: Tess Roby @ Shacklewell Arms
4th: Men I Trust @ Oslo
14th: Halo Maud @ Castle, Manchester
19th: Beach House @ Albert Hall, Manchester
24th: Helena Deland @ Sebright Arms
29th: Grouper @ Hackney Arts Centre
30th: Hater @ The Lexington
31st: Dream Wife @ KOKO

Quite the tour of London venues for me, just started a new job there so looking forward to finding me a new favourite venue. Everyone’s favourites of the above?

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up about Empress Of. I work two minutes away from the venue. Might go to that.

No problem man! Only found out about it this morning, an hour before the tickets went on sale

Of the ones I’ve been to … Lexington is great, Oslo is quite good. I’d only go to Village Underground, Heaven and KoKo if I really had to.

Chat’s Palace is great purely as it’s literally minutes from where I work. Oslo and Lexington are good. Shacklewell and Sebright are great. Hackney Arts Centre will be a new venue for me when I see Stephen Malkmus there.

i absolutely love the VU. Heaven is too loud from what I remember. Koko is the worst ‘small(ish)’ venue in London, hate the place.

Thanks guys. Kinda wish I had these details before booking the gigs. KOKO on Halloween, should I prepare for a nightmare?

Koko is shit. Hated it when it was The Camden Palace and loathe it more now.

Warm cans of Red Stripe for £5+. Shit view. Average sound. One of the venues which attracts arseholes.

Which gig do you have on Halloween?

think it’s at least £6 a beer these days - think I paid £6.80 for a Punk IPA last time I went.

sorry - out of all the other ones you’re going to there’s some great little spots - Shacklewell is really grimy and loud (in a good way), Lexington is as above really great, Sebright used to be a great pub but I assume the downstairs is still a solid little space (if a little hot), Oslo also a good little venue with nice beer IIRC (plus close to loads of other good spots in Hackney)

Yeah. I paid something overpriced for a Punk IPA there upstairs when I saw Big Thief. A couple of weeks ago I saw Jenny Lewis and allowed myself to be conned into buying a warm can of Red Stripe which was poured badly into the plastic cup and so I got 2/3 of the 500ml can.

Level one Shepherds Bush Empire is my favourite venue of those big venues; not downstairs, just level one.

Dream Wife on Halloween. Looking forward to it. I saw them in Gothenburg in a nice venue on the pier of the river and the band seemed very happy to be there. Hoping the venue isn’t as bad as you guys are making out.

They’ve got good air con downstairs at Sebright. I saw Porridge Radio there during Visions Festival. They played at around 4pm during the heatwave. Packed venue. Air con kicked in well.

1 Like

i saw Father John Misty stood behind the seats on Level 1 of SBE last year and it was a great experience - downstairs is a fucking nightmare for someone my height, can’t see shit

nice - i haven’t been to a gig there in years, air con will make up for Vice taking over and getting rid of all the good beer probably

Haha, Vice hates good beer by the sounds of Old Blue Last.

1 Like