What has been your biggest waste of money?

For me, maybe my MSc? Dunno. Haven’t really used it for anything. Not sure it enhances my CV for any future jobs as not in the industry I work in now. Think it was about £6k in 2010, maybe not, can’t remember!
HBU? Bought some hungry otter NFTs or something?
Please share your monetary regrets, or don’t if it still painful or something idk

Spent £80 on a Premier Inn in Tottenham in early May 2021 when it was still essential travel only, thought I could wing it but they laughed me out the building and I stayed on my sister’s sofa (which I should have done anyway).

1 Like

Ross McCormack

2 Likes

why were they open, who was allowed to stay?

what a generous gift from you to Aston Villa football club!

1 Like

An expensive Paul Smith suit. It looked very smart, but fell apart after a few months wear.

My rent over the past 10yrs

13 Likes

Clutch on an old car. 500 quid. Cambelt went shortly after and we sold it for scrap

2 Likes

DiS Premium subscription.

4 Likes

Can’t remember anything more specific than “essential workers.” This was the beer gardens and meeting up outside era I think. Likeasay they rightfully told me to eff off haha

1 Like

Maybe the stylus I bought for my Nintendo switch so I could design levels on mario maker 2

6 Likes

My degree. Never used it for anything and probably never will.

1 Like

24 pack of Johnnie’s before I went travelling

6 Likes

My depression. Because I have wasted an absolute fucking shit tonne of money during my year-long bouts of depression…

(Sorry that’s quite maudlin but i feel really sad when i think about how much money I’ve squandered when miserable :frowning: )

5 Likes
5 Likes

Definitely spent way too much on an education that isn’t getting me much work, but it was an experience etc etc.

I was going to say cigarettes for 20 years but I almost always had duty-free cigarettes and didn’t smoke on a daily basis, so idk. Beer? Used to drink a whole lot of it, now I’m not bothered.

All the money I’ve spent on alcohol.

4 Likes

it’s always gonna be rent isn’t it

I’ve pissed a lot of money up the wall in pubs but that was infinitely better value than rent ever has been

6 Likes

Good call though, the amounts I’ve spent on junk food and aforementioned beer due to depression and anxiety… I really don’t want to see the numbers :crazy_face:

1 Like

Rent, deposits you don’t get back because it’s a scam, agent fees, fees for connecting basic services etc and so on.

Also records obviously.