What is the best EP you've ever heard?

Shiiiiiiit, I forgot about this. Seconded! It’s fucking perfect. Best thing they’ve done.

1 Like

Definitely the most concise thing, aye. The albums are so all over the place, especially that last one.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I love it. But it really set them up for a fall with EIP! Though just to be contrary - the last album is my favourite! Oscar Acceptance Speech kills me with its beauty every goddamn time. Could listen to it over and over.

The 4-track EP (5 tracks, tops) is my favourite format. So many great EPs out there, especially from the early 90s (and especially from the shoegaze acts).

Probably my fave is Ride’s Today Forever, though Curve’s first 3 EPs are a very close second.

If I’m allowed to contravene my own stipulation and name a 6-track EP, then the clear stand out winner is Ratchet’s Tingles:

There’s a fair argument for that being the best thing Broderick has ever done…
And I love Godflesh

I’ve actually never listened to any of his other stuff. I think I gave Conqueror a shot once but I was pretty distracted and it kind of just made me want to listen to Silver instead. What do you think is the best next step from Silver?

1 Like

was chatting to them before everything into position came out and they said that they had no money to record it with because they massively blew the budget on this EP :smiley: worth it tbh

1 Like

The first Jesu album is great.
But Godflesh, street cleaner is probably his best album. It’s metal as fuck though

2 Likes

The Creatures - Wild Things E.P. for the artwork, the double vinyl 7" format looked so classy / unique. Siouxsie at a kind of peak yet a bit different.

The Mars Volta Tremulant EP just because it has this belter

5 Likes

Godflesh did peak with Streetcleaner but Broadrick remains a true artist. Silver and Jesu is like a different side to him and almost equally as good.

2 Likes

Love the EP format for the weird collab aspect you sometimes get. You get split EPs, bit of variety, nice, loads of them.

Then splits where the bands cover each other. Random search gives the Boris/Asobi Seksu split:

Then you get EPs where artists collaborate directly and you get something new from it, like Macha Loved Bedhead (an all-time fave of mine):

Proper format, proper haircuts.

2 Likes

One of very few threads I’ve ever made and I’m still proud of it to this day.

2 Likes

So you should Goosey

Refuse to answer “ever”, but Creative Adult’s first EP “Dead Air” was a no-filler string of bangers.

Pavement - Watery Domestic for me!

2 Likes

And So I Watch You From Afar - The Letters EP

K is For Killing Spree is an absolute beast.

ys street band ep. prefer this version of Cosmia to the one on ys, and really love Colleen