What is the best opening 15 seconds of ANY album (Stooges or otherwise)?

15 seconds and you have most of the first verse, the main riff, all the drums and bass. The songs goes on to have some solos and bridges and stuff, but you have the essence of arguably the greatest song of all time distilled in to the first 15 glorious seconds.

4 Likes

Compare this with Mark Hollis who has 20 seconds of silence to open his album.

4 Likes

Went to my local for a pint and a read one evening the other week, young guy working there was playing Dire Straits and similar shit from Spotify over the speakers. Older staff member came in and immediately went over to the phone and stuck on Down on the Street instead. Those opening bars have never sounded so good.

2 Likes

Hello, this is Gorgeous. Anybody out there read me?

4 Likes

Good shout on MBV. I would definitely include that.

I’m disappointed with the lack of replies on this thread. Limiting yourself to the first 15 seconds of the first song on an album is quite a challenge, but I thought DIS liked challenges. If someone asked me “best opening tracks” then it’s pretty easy - things like Gimme Shelter, Come Together, Cinnamon Girl and Plainsong all immediately spring to mind, but they don’t really get going within 15 seconds.

Maybe the thread title is putting people off and (inexplicably) The Stooges aren’t the most popular band on the forum.

Overplayed by now of course but it must have been genuinely thrilling to have got this album at the time and gone straight into this riff.

2 Likes

Probably a bit too close to this thread in terms of time and theme.

And from that thread, keeping to first 15s:

1 Like

I once scared the life out of my then at the time young nephew by inserting Jesus Lizard’s Liar album in the cd player and hitting play, seconds later I realised I’d had the volume up high from what i had been listening to before he arrived. The damage was done though. I don’t think his young ears were ready for Boilermaker.

4 Likes

By 15 seconds in you’re starting the first chorus, and that’s after a phone ringing intro that takes up the first 5 seconds. Perfect.

4 Likes

Brilliant choice!

Using my executive priveledges to skip the first nine seconds of talking

1 Like

I’ll allow it, but only because this thread isn’t very popular and I’m needy

1 Like

Immigrant Song is another strong starter.

1 Like

I know Eric Clapton probably isn’t too popular on DIS, but this is amazing:

1 Like

“What you want, baby I got”

This is strong, mainly because it sounds like The Stooges! Always found it a bit odd that this is a punk album when it sounds so garage rock - there’s even a guitar solo in it.

1 Like

Punk/new wave is always a good source of strong openers - no messing, just get on with it.

Another example where you get a good couple of lines in before the 15 second mark “So you think you’re so clever, never in doubt”

U2 probably aren’t too popular on DIS but I don’t think they’ve ever been better than the opening 15 seconds on their debut album

1 Like