What is the most memorable historic event in your lifetime

One that’ll be in the books

For me, 9/11 and COVID19. 9/11 really did change things, from increased suspicion on Muslim and worry for my identifiably muslim relatives to the subsequent wars, which my family used to follow a lot on arabic aljazeera in the early to mid 200s. COVID19 because it has been almost surreal at times how swiftly life has changed and also how things will never quite go back to how they were, as is with 9/11 and increased security/tension about suspicious packages and that. Actually y2k too, it is not often that humanity sees a new millennium, although it was a bit anticlimactic, my computer didnt kill me in my sleep and my slimy alien egg toy didn’t give birth

7 Likes

Gary Lineker shitting himself

4 Likes

That hurricane

2 Likes

What’s her name

Collapse of the Soviet Union, or that time I had a nice sausage. Can’t decide.

September 11th
Berlin Wall
Diana

Are the obvious ones.

On a personal level to me? Or those that I remember most strongly?
Dunno

Watching the bombs dropping on Iraq on tv

Death of Ayrton senna (don’t even like f1, just have a real flashbulb memory of it )

Brexit, specifically the morning after in work.

1 Like

Appears to be unnamed, wonder when they started doing that. This one. Had only lived in the country about six weeks, had just turned 5 and my parents had just divorced so I came to the UK with Mumsie for a couple of years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

Rise of Google / social media / data harvesting
Covid
September 11th
Diana

Imagine history books will refer to this period as the time we had the chance to act on the climate crisis and decided money and convenience was more important too

Yesterday was the five year anniversary of David Cameron fucking a pig

14 Likes

That’s wood isn’t it? I bet he got wood thinking about it

9/11
Covid-19
Diana
SAS storming the Iranian Embassy
Berlin Wall
The KFC chicken shortage

1 Like

g79lkzajjtc21

15 Likes

Paul Gascoigne missing that open goal in the Euro 96 semi final.

4 Likes

Tragedy is the greatest muse

4 Likes

I don’t really remember 9/11, think the first big event I remember seeing on the news and understanding the gravitas of it was the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami.

And yeah, covid obviously.

1 Like

The Shoe Bomber
The George W Bush Shoe Thrower

UK started naming storms five years ago. Hurricanes have been named for a lot longer, but the 1987 storm wasn’t a hurricane.

1 Like

4 Likes

obviously

2 Likes

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was Gary Speed dying. Remember exactly where I was when I heard that, whereas with the bigger things like Diana, 9/11 etc it just seemed to be information I absorbed vicariously throughout the day without ever really having one moment of realisation.