What is the perfect track length for an album?

• 8 Tracks
  • 9 Tracks
  • 10 tracks
  • 11 tracks
  • 12 tracks
  • 13 tracks
  • 14-18 tracks
  • More than 18 tracks

0 voters

Depends.

9 Likes

I find really long albums too much normally. I was thinking about this when I heard that the next 1975 album is 22 tracks long. For me that is too long. Half of that may well be filler. I like a nice punchy compact album 9-11 tracks ideally. For me that is enough to showcase an artists talents.

2 Likes

Really into 9 track albums. Must be so tempting just to stick another song on there, round it up to 10, most bands would But if you’ve gone with 9 tracks, there’s a confidence there that’s admirable

2 Likes

Are we counting skits in the track count?

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Some may see it as too short and maybe even lazy. But what I see is a band/artist probably recording 20 songs and saying right these are the best songs but these aren’t right or don’t fit in. Depeche Mode - Violator is one of my favourite 9 track albums. The latest Hot Chip album is 9 tracks. I like that. It feels right. 10 track albums are great too. These sort of albums suit a single piece of vinyl too which I suppose in a nostalgic way feels right. 9-11 feels traditional.

Depends… how long? Under 30 seconds or over?

45 minutes, whatever number of tracks that takes

4 Likes

Ambient/electronica could do with more skits.

“Yo, turn that reverb up”
“Wet signal is already at 95%”
“Awwww shit. Lengthen that decay then. And where’s my delay at?”

Always enjoyed that Royksopp one before Eple about the frequencies

4 Likes

Brian Eno’s Big Dick (skit) ft Obie Trice, Kuniva + William Basinski

3 Likes

Disintegration Bantz

1 Like

Why is eight the lowest poll option?

3 Likes

Used to think 10 but loads of 10 song albums could lose a couple of tracks so got to vouch for 8

Clearly doesn’t listen to enough Post Rock.
Or Geinoh Yamashirogumi.

1 Like

Dunno, Dose Your Dreams is a perfect album at 18 tracks, likewise David Comes to Life, but then you’ve got all 3 Japandroids albums at 8 tracks each and they’re perfect so…

*35 minutes

I don’t think there’s a definitive answer but I will say I’m always dead suspicious of 12 track albums that clock in around 45 minutes. Something about that combination just screams “phoning it in” to me.

5 tracks, ditch the filler and stop wasting my time.

1 Like

“Someone on the phone for you Liam…”
“Fucks sakes… i’m tryin’ to write this choon.”

3 Likes