What is your music hot take - Stop talking about the bloody Smashing Pumpkins. This is my thread and I'll make the rules

45 minutes should be the maximum length for an album

4 Likes

He’s like some sort of Country Sad Ballad Man

I’m sorry, all these years on DiS and I can’t enjoy them. I don’t think it’ll change any time soon

@moderators can you close this thread to stop the smashimg pumpkins talk please :slight_smile: thanks

1 Like

Blame the corganites

1 Like

I concur - Queen and Led Zep are boring af.

1 Like

i like reading the reviews, they’re well-written.

1 Like

Jimmy Page is the poor man’s Dean DeLeo.

Just remembered that More Light is the second best J Mascis album and the best Kevin Shields album.

1 Like

Are we talking Primal Scream’s ‘More Light’ here? Underrated album for sure but woah there! Even if one despises MBV you’re still placing it above ‘XTRMNTR’?!

No, More Light by J Mascis and the Fog. Having listened to it last night I may have to backtrack slightly - the opening track is up there with the best Dinosaur Jr material and the closing track is one of the best songs I’ve heard featuring Kevin Shields.

5 Likes

Ah, i did wonder where j mascis came into it. Not too familiar with his work but was fairly sure he didn’t sound too much like primals! Nevermind, ignore me and crack on :+1: :grin:

So true, Teen Spirit would be so much better if it was half the length, it just repeats itself

One of those ‘the radio edit is better’ tunes, c.f Block Rockin’ Beats, Entertain

Although, coincidentally at his show in Shepards Bush promoting that album, Mascis played a loads of Stooges stuff (the Stooges were essentially the backing band) and Bobby G came on to do a couple numbers on vocals, befire spitting at an audience member, hitting him with the mic stand and then running away. Have hated him ever since

3 Likes

Sam’s Town by The Killers is the best Bruce Springsteen album since Tunnel of Love.

Come on Feel The Lemomheads > It’s A Shame About Ray

All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem isn’t that great (not even in their top 10 best songs, I’d argue) and most of the people who claim they shed a tear while lsitening to it are probably just being a bit dramatic or straight up lying

2 Likes

Completely disagree about all of that but I’ve ever understood why anyone likes someone great. Really dull song.

1 Like

would have been a better hot take about 20 years ago but mine is ‘the only good smiths song is only good cause Victoria Wood wrote most of it’. don’t think its possible to rile people with smiths opinions these days :(((

1 Like

There’s far too much bass in all music.

Boils my piss something awful when I see somebody saying Husker Du’s back catalogue should be remastered. Fuck Off, Mates! I love the trebly eighties guitar sound. All the other music in the world is infested with bass, leave something for us. Even if it’s just the Du and Big Black.

1 Like

Yep, despite having a lot of time for Johnny Marr and appreciating his way around a catchy hook I just can’t abide The Smiths at all.

1 Like

Is it a Warner Brothers one or an SST one?
The former desperately need remastering, but the trebly distorted sound on the earlier records, especially New Day Rising, is fine once you get used to it.

Also, Warehouse has the biggest difference in sound quality between vinyl and CD I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes