What Next for DiS?

I really liked this interview format of getting artists to talk us through their catalogue. Maybe it’d work better as a podcast (and audio tracks on a playlist) than something to read? http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4146137-album-by-album--kelly-jones-on-the-stereophonics-back-catalogue

5 Likes

Yeah I remember how that was - this would have quite a different look, would feel easier to navigate maybe?

I would definitely subscribe to a podcast like that (and cherry pick episodes based on artists I like)

3 Likes

A podcast similar to the Dissect series but from the perspective of the artist would be great.

2 Likes

Being honest, i’ve not read a review on here in seven or eight years. I’m sure they’re good. I don’t really read reviews anywhere else, but i used to. There does seem to be a huge disconnect between the content and the boards, and it’s gone that way since whenever it stopped being orangey. The biggest factor’s probably Spotify. The need to filter through reviews has gone now you can just listen to 90% of new releases every Friday.

I’m absolutely convinced that the best thing for the boards would be a proper voluntary membership - everyone chipping in a bit of money per month and that paying for you to be able to put more hours into it, or someone else to - properly try to knit stuff together, do some cooler inclusive features and crowdfund some events again, etc. There’s a big community of people who care about the site, but the power of that’s never really been utilised to improve things financially.

12 Likes

I think the popularity of Dissect shows that there is a real audience for very, very in depth analysis of pre-existing records that just isn’t possible with new releases.

2 Likes

Count me in.

1 Like

Yup, I think you’re right Tone.

1 Like

What next for man raised by puffins?

7 Likes

Not thought through entirely, but a thought on the dev costs, site migration issues and suchlike. There’s a few Developers on the forums, including myself… Could we get together with looking into helping with DiS 3.0 Dev costs, in the vein of the DiS community label? Get set up with a GitHub project and some Continuous Deployment stuff so we can pick up tickets when we have time and try and clear some stuff as a community rather than relying on paid contractors for everything?

Obviously, would need looking into making sure we have a broad range of skills and agree on a few best practices, but if enough people are able and willing to pitch in then it might be able to make a difference?

1 Like

I stopped reading reviews when you got rid of the ‘recommended’ sidebar that was on the old social boards. Tbh you’re not the worst for not signalling good albums, The Quietus reviews shit loads of stuff I’ve never heard of, doesn’t score it and doesn’t tell you quickly whether an album is worth listening to. I think some writers think people read reviews for the sheer joy of it…

Just to gauge it a bit (all threads private)…

Would people be willing to make a monthly contribution to fund the site?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If yes, what would you be comfortable contributing each month?

• £5ish
  • £10ish
  • £15ish
  • £20ish
  • I’d prefer an adhoc contribution when i can

0 voters

1 Like

maybe a british version of narduwar would be good

3 Likes

ruffers could play him if he apologises

7 Likes

Was about to post that and then abandoned my post. Really pissed off with him now.

The human tea towel

4 Likes

not sure why i don’t read the main site actually. there’s quite a few that i habitually check for new releases, think i always just skipped straight past it cos i was so excited to talk to my online buddies
just looked at it and it alerted me to the new eric chenaux record so cheers :+1:

1 Like

(Ps not intended as a snipe)

Hey @sean,

I’ve thought about this a lot. You’ve made it clear that keeping DiS going is a struggle both mentally and financially, and that seems crazy when PRs are so keen to use DiS quotes in promo material.

A couple of people have suggested the longform route, or podcasts. That seems the right way to go for me, both because people who like music tend to listen to podcast a lot [citation needed], and because there are networks out there keen to sponsor podcasts. Perhaps there could be a few different types of DiS podcasts - a new release one, a classic album one, a festivals one - which could rotate over the course of a month. Maybe over time it could become a little podcast network of sorts. Who knows.

I’d even consider ditching most of the current site entirely. It’s a burden keeping it going and making sure all those reviews and articles are available and searchable. Are they needed? Have they served their purpose? They’ll all still exist on archive.org forever.

It’s almost sacrilege to suggest but… would you consider selling the site? It’s a great brand and the audience is established. It’s also clearly causing you grief to keep it going.

Whatever you decide, it’s got to be right for you.

5 Likes

A fortnightly podcast would be great, especially if there was some overlap with the boards - maybe one guest contributor each time and a rolling panel of two regulars out of Sean, the senior writers, the muso DiSers, etc, maybe the odd person from a label or band.

Acast do a thing where podcast specials can be locked for contributors. Could maybe even tie it into the £5 a month membership thing above, or at least fiirst listens, etc. Patreon do it as well, i think.

1 Like