What Phone do you own?

OnePlus Nord

Just got a 12 Mini. Love the size and sticking with Apple and the camera is awesome - but the battery really is pretty trash

The reviews all mentioned that but I didnā€™t expect it to disappear quite so fast ā€¦ hmm

Did try a Pixel 5 but returned it right away. Not a bad phone at all but the size was just big enough to bother me. Would kill for that battery size though

I broke the screen protector for my 4a in the first week of getting it. CBA with putting the other one on and Iā€™ve not done any damage to the screen :person_shrugging:

Recently upgraded to a Samsung S21 Ultra after having the S9 for quite a few years. Itā€™s big and itā€™s expensive but have to say its been a huge quality of life improvement, the camera and battery and general speed of the phone are light years ahead of what I had before.

i just got a 12 mini too, the battery seems fine but iā€™ve just spent the past year or two with an old SE that needed charging after you do literally anything

1 Like

Haha thatā€™s the exact upgrade I made :smiley: I was still disappointed but also maybe im doing a lot more with it and demanding more (also itā€™s nice when the phone doesnā€™t just die at 20%)

1 Like

yeah wow did that ever get boring

My Honor 10 has been going strong for over two years. Think this is so far the most robust phone Iā€™ve had

Smartphone finally gave up so got one of these for now.

It has whatsapp! I still know how2txt m8s.

1 Like

The mrs is getting a Pixel 4a as an upgrade - went with that over the P5 or Oppo whatever as it still has a headphone jack, and sheā€™s not on Bluetoothbook

My Moto G Power hefty battery mofo got bumped to Android 11, which walloped the battery life for some reason (the OS itself is fine). Drains about 20-25% quicker in my unscientific estimation, well annoying. Will try doing a factory reset on it when I have several hours free, see if that helps

Think the new Moto Power has a 6000mAh battery, but only a 720p screen. Probably lasts for days, but I like my memes in 1080p tyvm

Galaxy S10e six month update: still great, still nothing to beat it in a(n Android) phone that size as far as I can tell. Would prefer 20% or so more battery life but, to be fair, it charges way faster than the Xperias itā€™s replaced, so Iā€™ve got used to giving it a wee boost at some point or other during the day rather than expecting to have 30 or 40% at the end of the day and exclusively charging overnight.

OnePlus 6t, bought in Nov 2018.

Should last another year I hope before I upgrade.

Iā€™m still on my Samsung S8 from June 2017. It has a bit of screen burn, but Iā€™m ok with that. The frustrating thing has been the battery, although slightly less of an issue when Iā€™m home most of the time! I finally got the battery replaced a couple of weeks ago, really quite hopeful that it would get a new lease of life. I think it has improved a bit, and thankfully doesnā€™t just die at 20% battery now, but unfortunately no magical super improvements. It still works quite fine after that, so Iā€™ll continue with it a while longer.

Got the huawai p20 pro in 2018. Itā€™s still as fast and reliable as when I got it.

So I guess there are 2 obvious points about battery saving for Android I stick to which may also (I dunno) help @JaguarPirate with his Apple:

• donā€™t install the FB app or the Twitter App. In fact donā€™t install any app you can get away with just using the website version for. FB and Twitterā€™s web versions arenā€™t perfect but the flipside is you donā€™t have a thing that keeps trying to check for new alerts etc. TBF this may have been an issue 6 years ago when I made this decision and no longer really matters but I stick by it!

• make sure youā€™ve got location, NFC and even bluetooth off as much as possible. Sadly the Bluetooth on mine is on a lot these days because of my headphones and no jack soā€¦ fuuuuu- but then this OnePlus Nord has a good battery life.

Also Samsung tend to deliver a bunch of apps youā€™ll never use and you canā€™t delete (I have no idea if apple do this too) but itā€™s worth doing your best to at least turn them off, not give them access etc in case they are grinding your battery.

In your Android settings under Battery there should be a ā€˜view detailed usageā€™ bit that will show you a graph of power usage over time and that will include a list of the apps below that have used the most of your battery so you can assess if there is stuff on there thatā€™s eating away.

1 Like

Wait, what phone is that?

Itā€™s called ā€œNokia 6300 4Gā€ and itā€™s absolute rubbish. I love it.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to get a fairphone when I have to.
Currently going into my fourth year of an iPhone 6s that Iā€™ve replaced screen and/or battery a few times and it works fine, with a sim only contract. You donā€™t necessarily need to replace your phone every 18 months people.
How is the fairphone working out for you ravens? Anything particular youā€™d note about it?

Itā€™sā€¦alright to good. Iā€™m not hugely bothered about having a fancy phone as such. And I come out in hives if I have to use any Apple software so Iā€™ve never had an iPhone.

But I do notice that the camera isnā€™t as good (slower to focus, isnā€™t as clear close up) as other phones Iā€™ve had. Itā€™s maybe a touch sluggish performance wise. And it is a bit on the large side.

I havenā€™t had to do any replacements of anything yet, so I donā€™t know how that goes.

Overall though Iā€™m happy with it. Canā€™t see me getting anything different tbh.

1 Like

even if they didnā€™t, you could always just take a loan out which is effectively what youā€™re doing every time you get a phone contract with a new phone.
this whole thing has got to be one of the most successful swizzes in modern capitalism

3 Likes