What Phone do you own?

no idea why everyone doesn’t do this

if you can’t afford it either don’t buy it or get a loan from an actual bank. shirley going to be much cheaper than getting a loan from a phone company…

I’ve got a Moto G (6g play, I think). I’m quite brand-loyal, which is handy for them as I am quite good at breaking my phone (though I think it’s been nearly 18 months since I last broke one)

2 Likes

Aren’t you just paying off the value of the phone with no interest when you get a phone contract? Pretty sure that’s what o2 do.

1 Like

When was the last time you broke your phone? (To the extent that you had to get a new one)

• Within the last month
  • Within the last 6 months
  • Within the last year
  • Within the last two years
  • Within the last five years
  • Somehow, not for at least five years

0 voters

How did you break it?

• Broke the screen
  • Dropped it in water of some kind
  • Went out with it in the rain, and it got waterlogged
  • Some other disaster

0 voters

And when you broke your phone, what did you do?

• Claimed on insurance under contract
  • Claimed on household insurance
  • Just sucked it up and paid for a replacement

0 voters

isn’t it conditional to being tied in to an overpriced call / data plan?

3 Likes

Yeah, O2 lease you the phone but make their money by getting you to commit to doing it over 18 months/2 years whilst paying them for the data you use.

I now buy the phone outright as it lets me stay on a cheaper dea… this post is too boring to finish

5 Likes

Bonus poll

• I’ve successfully fixed a phone using a bowl of rice
  • I’ve had limited success fixing a phone with a bowl of rice
  • I’ve tried unsuccessfully to fix a phone with a bowl of rice
  • I’ve never tried to fix… etc

0 voters

Five years or so ago I dropped a week old iPhone face down on a ceramic tile, shattering the screen. Went to some randoms guys house and he fixed it for me. Used a cover for all subsequent phones obvs.

1 Like

it had a defective charging port and was replaced under warranty

does that count as me breaking it? dunno

Never broken a phone. Don’t understand why people do it, seems like it would cause a load of hassle.

1 Like

No, unless you were waving it around by its charging port like a lasso

Do you take additional steps to reduce the risk of breaking a phone? Or are you just naturally very careful?

• I’ve replaced a phone screen myself (successfully)
  • I botched replacing my own screen
  • Never tried

0 voters

Inspired by my dad putting a flathead screwdriver through the screen on my ipod touch and killing it forever

1 Like

Dunno, I just… don’t tend to break stuff I own. Or lose stuff. Don’t really understand how some people break and lose stuff loads.

Got a moto e5, it’s shit but I can replace the screen in about 30 mins for £20. I mean, the headphone jack doesn’t work anymore and the powder button fell out, but,

1 Like

my friend was bragging about getting “free spotify” with his phone, but he was paying at least double per month than what I pay on pay as you go on a phone that cost me £200

Oh god you’re trying extra hard to be annoying today aren’t you

No this is all natural

8 Likes

You’re not completely tied in. You can pay off the phone whenever you like and end the airtime contract at the same time.

It’s good if you want the fancy expensive phones. Spread the cost for the first year or so, then sell the phone and pay the contract off with that, repeat with latest fancy phone.

I’m shit with money though so am probably ripping myself off here somehow.

I don’t tend to lose stuff that much - I’ve never lost a phone or a wallet, though I do have a habit of leaving things places.

I have broken a lot of phones though. And two guitars. I think it’s a combination of clumsiness and a slightly cavalier attitude towards risk

2 Likes