What’s a Catch? The NFL 2018 Offseason Thread

Just by staying still the Bears are likely to have a top prospect fall into their laps. Potentially Nelson, James, Fitzpatrick or even Barkley could fall that far. Have seen a lot of mocks giving them Tremaine Edmunds, any reason you prefer Roquan Smith over him (aside from the fact Edmunds was born in fucking 1998)?

Don’t really have a team atm, still follow the Bengals without really rooting for them. One of the premier offensive linemen would be good, potentially Billy Price (although the injury might put them off after Ogbuehi turned out to be a disaster) or Will Hernandez. Of course the better the O-Line gets the better chance Joe Mixon has of looking like a decent player and sticking around for longer than is strictly necessary.

I like demonstrated instincts- Edmunds seems a bit like the Allen of the line backers, all projections and drooling measurables, whereas my favourite ILBs are instinctual, and great at the three different phases they have to do. Smith seems more in line for that. He might be a wee bit small, but if he’s in the right spot, that’s the main thing.

Fitzpatrick is probably the biggest projection of the first four (the later edge guys are more on need and scarcity outside of round 1), but the projection is more on what Fangio would do, as opposed to ‘can the player do it at pro level’

Hopefully bengals go for Guise and ditch the mix

Hoping for Landry or Vea for the Lions but expecting they’ll both be gone.

If so, Hernandez or Wynn at OG would do nicely, Da’Ron Payne or Taven Bryan at DT would be acceptable, Davenport at Edge would be McNulty hand wave gif.

Would be happy with a trade back that would get one of those and another pick later too.

They need a starting guard, and either DT or DE from this draft. Prospects at RB, TE, CB, LB, safety, even WR would all be nice too.

1 Like

Not sure why Shaquem Griffin is attending the draft tonight? He’s the greatest story this year for sure, but absolutely no one is expecting him to go tonight… it’ll just be sad to see him sitting there all evening.

I think both Davenport and Landry will be gone by 20 - such a shallow edge class, and it’s such a premier position and point f need for loads of teams. Seen them both mocked to Chicago and the packers if makes you feel better

Well, you got a QB. Dunno if it was the right one though.

Very pleased with smith to Chicago. First game will be a hall of fame game for two ILBs which is a nice augury maybe

1 Like

Liked the trade conditions, dislike the pick. But who knows!

1 Like

Bit of a puzzler to wake up to. General consensus seems to be that Ragnow is a total stud we’ll be happy to have… but we could have got him later (I reckon the Bengals or Pats would have had him, but Wynn and Hernandez were still there…). Something must be up with Landry if everyone passed, including his college coach who’s now the Lion’s DC.

Bunch of talent left though - can’t belive Guice has fallen behind some other runners. Mo Hurst still out there too.

Aye, there’s quite a chunk of talent at the top of the second. Hoping for one of the o-line guys or an edge (heard stuff about Landry’s knee and back being a concern?). Some good cbs and wrs there too. Not sure who Chicago were trying to trade back into the first for(according to Rapoport), maybe Hernandez?

That saints move was pretty aggressive - assume they’re all in on brees’ last couple of years? But isn’t Davenport a bit of a project?

Pretty happy with Chubb for the Broncos :horse:.

I was expecting Lamar Jackson to go higher though, pretty interesting pick for the Ravens.

DiS Predicts:

@brusma_NFL - 680 (3 perfect)
steved - 650 (4 perfect)
kenako - 520 (0 perfect)
friend of the night - 520 (0 perfect)
GuyRM - 420 (0 perfect)
HYG - 410 (1 perfect)

Derek Carr, Amari Cooper, Jordy Nelson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin and Martavius Bryant could be an incredibly exciting or incredibly awful offence. Potentially both.

All about the line innit

It’s a bit Madden 2014 (which is two years later than the current Dolphins offense at least).

1 Like

Best/worst picks?

Best:

Darnold to the Jets - feels like that big gamble with the trade has actually paid off. Plus they can bin off Petty and Hackenberg once and for all (which admittedly they could have done as soon as they picked up Bridgewater, but now they have no excuse not to).

Smith to the Bears - one of those picks where the best player available just happened to be the best in the draft at a position of need.

Derwin James to the Chargers - amazed he fell past Washington tbh.

Worst:

Josh Allen to the Bills - in the right circumstance Allen can be a good QB. The Bills currently have a receiver depth chart headed by Kelvin Benjamin and an O-Line full of holes. I imagine McCarron will start and Allen will be his Peterman when his supporting cast lets him down/gets him killed.

Kolton Miller to the Raiders - obviously had their hearts set on McGlinchey, but trading down for the second LT on your board when you have gaping holes at DT and the secondary and then watching Vea, Payne and Fitzpatrick pass you by is very blinkered drafting.

Rashaad Penny to the Seahawks - one day I’ll write a Nobel-winning treatise on the Seahawks drafts of Jon Schneider and how they led to the decline of a Superbowl winning team. They still seem to think they’re in a Broncos-esque position of being one or two players away from the playoffs.

1 Like

Agree across the board - not sure ilb was a huge need for the bears, but I think smith will substantially elevate the play.

Loved the Arizona trade up (a 3&5?!) and the Baltimore Jackson grab. Saints trade seems unnecessary but if they love him, fair play. Next year’s one though? A brees injury away from that being a 2 year disaster.

When you first start watching the NFL, your NFL year zero, the players who are playing seem like they’ve always been there. These are the players that might has well have played since the beginning of time, for all you know. Gradually they fade out, disappear or retire and new ones take their place, and for me there’s almost no-one left from when I first started watching. One exception is Jason Witten, who has definitely been playing since the beginning of time and it is very strange to see that he’s finally going to retire. He’s only missed one game in all that time. What an astounding career.

1 Like

Packers have drafted a player called Equanimeous St Brown. Might as well just give them the trophy now…

2 Likes

Now that dust’s settled a little, and trying not to be OMG what an amazzzzing draft, 6 starters, 2 pro bowl, 1 all pro like every fan is of their team

Bears - Pace has built up a bit of trust in the draft over the last few years, in contrast with his free agency moves (which I guess makes sense with his scouting background), so there’s some cautious optimism here. Loved the Smith pick (apparently Nelson was never really going to be a consideration unless they traded down and he fell - too many good defensive prospects), really like the Daniels (C/G) pick as long as his knees are OK, and really liked the Miller trade (effectively giving up a 4th to trade in the second again this year rather than next year) - his catching is a bit average, but love everything else.
Day 3 was quite hard to make a call on - a DT and OLB who can hopefully rotate in a bit and be reliable if not starters, another ILB who’s probably going to be special teams, and a project WR.

Thought the packers had a great draft - that trade down and then up was a thing of beauty. Missed out on Edmunds and James (the latter especially might have been nice), but probably got the player they wanted anyway - swapping a 3rd for a 1st and a 5th for a 6th? Very nice. Also loved the cardinals trade, hardly gave up anything for their QB

Seattle and Oakland’s drafts, ouch. Didn’t like the bucs’ much either.