What’s the most miserable song that you can’t get enough of...?

Here’s mine:

https://twitter.com/seaninsound/status/1292719798607130624?s=21

1 Like
1 Like

Murderers all

14 Likes

Johnny cash didn’t get close on his cover.

8 Likes

JFC. Treat yourself and don’t read the comments below the tweet.

1 Like

Ttoooooo late

2 Likes

I went through a phase of listening to A Crow Looked at Me pretty much on repeat, if that counts.

4 Likes
1 Like

Here’s a little blurb I wrote for today’s show and the tracklisting

Drowned in Sound’s Unhappy Hour 2

As an antithesis to summer party anthems,

DiS compiles two hours of mellow and melancholy Monday “vibes” hosted by the website’s founder Sean Adams. Tune in for a mix of drone, sad-songer-writerer, and zoned-out RnB. There’s a sparse cover of Black Sabbath and new music from Angel Olsen, Ed Harcourt and Howling Bells’ Juanita Stein alongside classic cuts from Nick Cave and Cocteau Twins.

Listen live from 4pm on www.sohoradiolondon.com or it’ll be on Mixcloud later, subscribe Mixcloud

Charlotte de Witte - What’s In The Past

Zola Jesus - Changes

Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess

Land of Talk - Weight of That Weekend

Juanita Stein - Snapshot

Cocteau Twins - A Kissed Out Red Floatboat

Lykke Li - deep end - alt version

Frank Ocean - Dear April (Side A - Acoustic)

Mary Lattimore - Sometimes He’s In My Dreams

Grouper - Clearing

Ed Harcourt - Drowning In Dreams

The Antlers - Kettering

Timber Timbre - Creep on Creepin’ On

The Stills - Everything I Build

Perfume Genius - Nothing at All

Anna von Hausswolff - The Truth, The Glow, The Fall

FKA twigs - mirrored heart

Moses Sumney - Polly

GAIKA - Seven Churches For St Jude

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Weeping Song

Billy Mackenzie - Winter Academy

Bing & Ruth - Weighout

Nine Inch Nails - La Mer

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Fordlândia

Thanks to US read for inspiring this Unhappy Hour season of shows. More about how that happened here https://www.instagram.com/p/CDsDkV5n4TK/?igshid=et3h2ofknipw

4 Likes
1 Like

This is probably it:

1 Like
4 Likes

His profile pic makes him look like a miserable young acoustic troubadour who’s sold 17 million albums and permanently on the Radio 1 A list :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Then again he isn’t as his name is not Tom. Ie Tom Walker, Tom Grennan, Tom Odell and Tom Sheeran

Five or six on A Hero’s Death by Fontaines DC. Still can’t tell if that band are the saviours of rock or the new Stereophonics.

1 Like

Everything Everything’s The Peaks. Jon’s always been cagey about its meaning but I have always felt it was him singing the end of the world, and it crushes me every time.

And a second Everything Everything pick, Put Me Together, which makes me consider the burgeoning alienation and xenophobia of the last few years, the Other-ising we are constantly doing to ourselves, the double-edged sword of ‘difference’.

1 Like

Miserable songs are the best and there are way too many to choose from, so I’ll go with the one that’s been in my head all day, The centerpiece and bleakest song on their bleakest album, it’s completely suffocating and devoid of anything resembling hope. The album artwork says it all.

The Flaming Lips - Butterfly How Long It Takes to Die

1 Like

You can listen to this month’s show whenever you like on Mixcloud here: