What Senses Can You Recall (or Imagine) When The Stimuli Are Missing?

Sight

Can you hold images? Manipulate them? Run imaginary sequences in your head?

Sound

Can you decide to hear sounds that aren’t happening around you? Effectively listen to a song in your head from start to finish? Hear the voices of friends and imagine them talking to you?

Smell

Can you conjur up the smell of things in your mind?

Taste

Can you recall the taste of foods and other substances? Can you combine different tastes to create a new flavour?

Touch

Can you imagine the feel of things that aren’t there. Feel the texture on your skin and/or on your tongue?

Asking for Epimer.

If there’s any interest in this topic I might knock up a few polls.

Yes, but they tend to be fleeting. Can’t say I’d have the ability or patience to listen to a whole song like that though. Smell and touch stronger than taste and sound stronger than sight.

I’m not at next level stuff like combining flavours though and I can’t conjure up all stimuli.

I can do all of these things? Is that not normal?

1 Like

splinter, my myagi

This is what we’re here to find out, Jookyboy.

I’m not good at the visual stuff. My friend can’t imagine flavours.

not a single like ffs

I probably would have done if not for my myagi, sorry

god damn it

Yeah, all of them.

Mentioned here before but I have a friend who has no visual imagination at all (discovered after I asked her how she visualised a play when she read it, as a stage production or as if it were actually taking place, and she had no idea what I was talking about).

Sight

• I can hold images very briefly
  • I can hold images for as long as I want and manipulate 'em
  • I can’t hold images

0 voters

Sound

• I can play sounds including music in my head
  • I can’t do this

0 voters

Smell

• I can conjur up smells in my head
  • I can’t do this

0 voters

Taste

• I can taste in my head but not combine flavours
  • I can do both
  • I can’t do either

0 voters

Touch

• I can imagine the texture of things on my skin/tongue
  • I can’t

0 voters

seems like you and I have a lot in common

dinner?

1 Like

sight yeah, loads and easy as pie, sound same. no to everything else

I have one. It happens by itself, not something I can make happen, and not very often but I get this feeling in, and about different parts of my body it’s been a thing forever since I was little.

So it’s stronger than just having thoughts about how my body parts feel…but not quite something I can feel as if it’s real.
The weird part is it’s always the same feeling and it’s a feeling that bits of my body are bigger than they really are. Like my arm will have a ‘bigness’ to it that’s not really there but it feels like it’s really…big like 5 times bigger. Kind of a vague thing but more intense than it should be.

• Yes
  • What? Stop.

0 voters

i can conjure the texture of a maryland biscuit

1 Like

Nice aren’t they?

I’m no longer certain that I can combine flavours that well. I can conjur up each flavour but I’m not entirely convinced that I can hold them both at the same time and then merge them.

1 Like

really love those biscuits, it’s a shame the fancier 5 to a pack soft cookies overshadow them a bit now. used to love working through a packet of maryland double choc cookies with a pot of coffee.

I’m not sure it’s the same thing but if you imagine your entire body is at about 50% opacity sometimes a part will be more like 100%, less a bigness for me, more a presence (?)

can conjure up images but I don’t think I can do any of the others. I can’t be sure though. thinking about it has confused me

Can you not hear a song in your head? How do you remember the lyrics to something if you don’t “play it back”?