What series are you into on Netflix?

I watched the first episode last night too. I didn’t think his accent was that bad, but I’m not English.

Once I realised it was a work of Harlan coben, it started to make sense. I quite like it. I wasn’t totally gripped to watch the next episode there and then, but I will probably binge watch when I’m home alone Friday night.
It reminded me of a cross between hollyoaks, skins, and desperate housewives.

Watched all of The Rain over a weekend, thought it was silly but pretty great too.

1 Like

It reminded me of a cross between hollyoaks, skins, and desperate housewives.

Except it doesn’t feel anything like as self-aware as those for me. Or perhaps I’m expecting too much of it. I’ll probably get drunk and binge it at some point but it just felt tonally really fucking weird to me.

1 Like

OK just finished this and it really comes together in the last couple episodes. It inherently struggles under its own weight due to the sheer structure of it but it moves in a compelling way and I like the dynamic the characters have between each other even if it’s a little hamstrung by the premise.

The last episode though, FUCK :cry: :grimacing:

quite happy about my timing though as isn’t season 2 out like, this week?

Has anyone seen “evil genius”

jk yeah i started watching it also and for once i actually found it too grim. that guy at the beginning and then her message where she’s like i didn’t have any fucking thing to do with this fuckign bullshit dhkwefhlad;ldf’

i was just like ‘i think i’ll watch something nice for a change’

We’ve started The Expanse, despite the cancellation. Really enjoyable stuff actually.

1 Like

The denouement of Safe was rubs!

your use of the word denouement on the other hand is 1st class

the problem with crazy multi stranded/ everyone has something going on mysteries like this is it;s pretty hard to wrap everything up neatly, but the big reveal about the fire was all very daft

Yeah. I’m sure there are more inconsistencies but the one that sticks with me was in the first episode or two his gay mate driving like an absolute loon to get away from the police and then the copper (his daughter) saying there was someone else in your car wasn’t there. So that’s just how he drives is it? Red herrings are all part and parcel of it but they have to make vague sense.

yeah good call - they did a terrible job of trying to imply he was a bad un

Yeah I’ve seen it

Not sure I really got on with it tbh, I think episode one is the grimmest - there is a really unnecessary bit when you [spoiler]see the explosion[/spoiler]. The whole thing just felt a bit unnecessary and sensationalist to me

nice spoiler hiding budget

8 Likes

30th May… UNBREAKABLE! (they alive dammit!)

I know S3 wasn’t as good but still had some golden moments.

1 Like

yeah i’ve watched the rest of the first ep now and it does feel pretty iffy. there was a bit where they had a statement read from the guy’s family over emotive piano music and then it flashed up at the bottom that it was a recreation lol. i know nothing on tv is real but come on.

something I didn’t like, it’s constantly telling the viewer how incredibly smart, charismatic and manipulative the people involved in the crime are, but I never really got a sense of that from any of the actual footage of those involved, so there is a weird disconnect in the whole show between what you are being told and what you actually see. Like the whole thing stems from a totally botched bank robbery - not that smart are you!

hmm dunno think the prog acknowledges that. like rothstein is describing her as a genius and people describe him as an eccentric and that he thinks very highly of his own intelligence but i’m not sure the filmmakers or the VO really suggests that they think they are all that smart.

1 Like

Well I didn’t think it was that good anyway! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah it’s too much innit. That first guy made me feel really sick, only got a wee bit into the first episode.

onto ep 2 now, i think some of it is misjudged yeah. i really especially hate the wistful voicover. thin kit’s really, really crap when director’s insert themselves into their own films as if it’s more about “their journey” like jurecki in the jinx as well.

1 Like

I wasn’t initially too but I think they way they have left it there’s plenty room for another series, I guess it’s going to largely turn into a courtroom drama now but also What is Justin going to do? Will Alex survive? The photographer is packing so much heat I’m kinda terrified we are heading towards a columbine situation…

Big fan of the final shot and that alliance though, properly choked up at Skye asking Clay if he was ok and his responding “no… is that ok?”

1 Like