What was your favourite album of the first 3 months of 2017?

Been a busy start to the year. I’ve spent a lot of time flitting between records.

Definitely feels like the start of this year has been great for solo ladies (Laura Marling’s made her career best, can’t get enough of Jesca Hoop, and the sensational Austra album has been on a lot) and great electronic records (Soulwax, Depeche Mode, and really enjoying the dancey-drones of Kelly Lee Owens’ record). It’s been nice to flit between sounds and textures on my commutes but feel like I’ve probably missed a few standout records.

What has particularly stood out for you?

March was a very strong month for me. Valerie June’s album is my favourite of the year so far. It’s a soulful, folk album. Some brilliant melodies and she has a terrific voice. That’ll be my AOTY so far and my recommendation for something slightly under the radar when compared to the usual from indie reviewers.

Lots of replies to this thread over on Facebook already too https://www.facebook.com/drownedinsounduk/posts/10154884694288145

So far for me:

1: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
2: Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
3: Sun Kil Moon - Red Valleys Of Blood…

Others that I’ve loved - Laura Marling, Sampha, xx, Run The Jewels, Rose Cousins, Thundercat and Wiley.

Looking ahead to Apr, May and Jun, looking forward to:

Father John Misty, Futre Islands, Gorillaz, Mac Demarco, Perfume Genius, Pond, Slowdive, PWR BTTM, TOPS, Fleet Foxes, Lorde, London Grammar and Ride. 2017 looks like it’ll be a great year!

Probably Elbow on reflection. But really enjoyed Julie Byrne, Los camp, Grails and Deep Throat Choir lps

Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now is probably still my favourite release from the year.

A Crow Looked At Me is currently my runaway AOTY and will take some beating.

Great records from these as well though:

Julie Byrne
Blanck Mass
Bing & Ruth
Peter Silberman
Cloud Nothings

If the rest of the year maintains this standard it’ll be fantastic.

Blanck Mass for me, although I’m really enjoying Idles and Parlour Walls at the moment.

Mount Eerie will probably be my AOTY, but others I’ve loved/am loving:

Bing & Ruth - No Home of the Mind
Blaine Todd - Golden Apples of the West
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
Mind Over Mirrors - Undying Color
Noveller - A Pink Sunset for No One
Sacred Paws - Strike a Match
Sarah Davachi - All My Circles Run
Stormzy - Gang Signs & Prayer

Need to listen to the latest Why? and Earth/The Bug albums too, and no doubt I’m missing tons of other shit.

Moon Duo

Laura Marling, Stormzy, Alice Jemima, Depeche Mode are my most played / ones I’m returning to most.

Los Campesinos — Sick Scenes

Cloud Nothings, with Priests as the runner up. I’m probably in the minority but so far it’s on track to overtake 2008 or 2004 as the weakest year for me.

I DON’T RAP I ILLUSTRATE

I DON’T PAINT PICTURES I PICTURE PAINT

painting pictures album of the year

Rose Elinor Dougall wins this for me with Stellular. Hope she doesn’t take 6 years again to make her next album.

I’m really coming around to Desperate Journalist’s second album as well.

Migos maybe, or Dirty Projectors. Some solid records but no real classics yet, for me.

sinnai vessel - brokenlegged (so far at least, I’ve got a bit of a backlog to work through)

Saturday Night by Tim Darcy

Definitely Not Even Happiness by Julie Byrne . Also really enjoying the Blanck Mass album.

Jens Lekman - wasn’t expecting this to be anywhere near as good as it is. I think it might be his best.

Dutch Uncles is a close second - again, I think it’s the best one they’ve done.