What was your FIRST celebrity encounter

Mine was getting an autograph from Frank Clark at Kettering vs. Nottingham Forest in… 1995? 96? Something like that. Glamorous stuff.

Met Panther from Gladiators at Streetwise Sports in Stretford Arndale in 1994.

7 Likes

This is exactly the type of post I was hoping for.

1 Like

Actually, Mick Hucknall used to live next door to my grandparents, so it was probably him.

He used to drive a blue cabriolet and go out with Brigitte Nielsen.

2 Likes

Collected Pat Butcher’s trolley in the Sainsbury’s car park.

A couple of weeks later I sold Brian Conley crab flavoured sticks at same said Sainsbury’s.

3 Likes

Did a tour of Elwood Park and Ronnie Clayton was doing a bit of it in the tunnel area. So that I suppose

1 Like

Anne Diamond of TVAM fame, signed photograph at a Summer Fëte some time in the mid/late 80s

(presuming you’re discounting the family member who was a kid’s TV presenter when I was a bairn)

1 Like

Met a load of OUFC players when I was about 6? Dean Saunders being the most memorable.

3 Likes

Meeting Jimmy Savile backstage at Jim’ll Fix It when I was about 5. First I remember, though I think there were likely some before that.

1 Like

When I was very small the then Charlton manager Lennie Lawrence lived next door. He gave me a toy gun my mum wouldn’t allow me to play with.

3 Likes

Met the entire Newcastle squad at Luton Airport. Gullit was manager so think it was summer 1998. Got the big 3 (Gullit, Shearer and Didier Domi) autographs but left the bit of paper in my pocket and my mummy put it through the washing machine.

5 Likes

Excellent

2 Likes

Darth Vadar - The John Menzies in my hometown but it wasn’t called John Manzies by then

Was probably around 1982 when I was seven or so

I had a scarf on which my granny Joan had knitted and he gently choked me with it (used his hands instead of the force which was disappointing)

Got handed a slip of paper with a pre signed autograph on it. I no longer have it

5 Likes

Rod Hull and Emu were staying in the hotel my dad was working at. Managed to get me a couple of minutes with them.

It was either that or the time Roy Walker gave me a pound to bet with at the horse racing

5 Likes

David Bellamy opened a nature reserve near me when I was young, so probably him.

There’s a photo of my brother with Duncan Goodhew, but I don’t think I was there for that (if I was WHY WASN’T I IN THE PHOTO?!?)

1 Like

Simon Groom and Goldie (we were there for the dog) opening a light railway. Freakishly, my future wife (who then lived over 200 miles away) was at the same event as she was visiting her grandparents. Her parents have photos from the day, we keep meaning to dig them out and see if our child selves are in the same crowd shot.

6 Likes

Saw John Prescott playing a steel drum in Plymouth town centre when I was about 9.

8 Likes

Tried on shoes alongside the athlete Tessa Sanderson in Barkingside high street, about 1991

5 Likes

Around the same time one of the boys at my school was in an advert for Micro Chips and we all thought he was mega famous

The one in the yellow top :smiley:

2 Likes

Morten Harket signing my A-ha t-shirt outside the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall in 1986.

3 Likes