What was your FIRST celebrity encounter

Just remembered that the photographs that she carried around to sign were a pic of her sat at a big easel with a large white canvas, pen in hand. So that when she signed the autograph it looked like photo Anne Diamond had drawn a big signature on the canvas

EDIT:

Slightly misremembered

Of course, everything is on the internet

5 Likes

Went to the Junior Gunners Christmas party when I was 8, attended by the 1993 Arsenal squad. Each table got a player sat with us for lunch. Mine had Paul Merson, he ate a lot of sandwiches.

4 Likes

Actually, just remembered that there’s a photo somewhere of me & Keith Chegwin from some Swap Shop Saturday Morning show when they did the outside broadcast from the Mosses Community Centre in Bury where I used to do Judo. I was 5

Anna Carteret (Juliet Bravo) opened the Camelsdale school fete when I was 5 :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh my god! This must have gone on for a few years as I met him at a toymaster in Sudbury, but I would have been too young in 82…

I, too have lost the autograph, although mum is sure it’s at home somewhere. I swear it was like a ‘complements slip’ with something like ‘best regards darth Vader’ on it like he was a regional office manager or something

It’s possible it was a couple of years later - yes like a complements slip :grinning:

Got caught accidentally stealing some crystals from uri geller when he was doing something like a meet and greet in a shopping centre
I thought they were free and he told me off (28 I was etc)

5 Likes

Tom Cruise on the southbank

Edit: Actually the first was Shane Warn at the Rose Bowl

2 Likes

Super Kevin Davies

2 Likes

Liz Mcdonald off Corrie.

2 Likes

Lloyd McGrath - Ex coventry city midfielder who laid on the ball that spurs’ gary mabutt turned into his own net thus winning coventry the FA Cup in '87 - lived on my street as a kid. we used to knock on his door to get his autograph, lose it, and go back next week for another. as annoying as that could have been for him, he was always an absolute gent about it.

4 Likes

Sooty, Sweep and Matthew Corbett at the Blackshots theatre in Grays, at a christmas panto, I think. Probably something like 1985, maybe?

The first one I had a proper conversation with was @Malva’s favourite, Arthur Bostrom, who was presenting the Gold Arrows to cub scouts at the Ware Carnival in about 1991.

3 Likes

Charlotte Church. She was doing some kind of appearance in like selfridges and snapped a pic of her when she walked past. Had to wait for it k be developed though.

1 Like

hunter and wolf from gladiators at a summer fete, probably 4

hunter tried to chat up my mum in front of my dad. used to have a picture of me and my brother hanging from wolfs biceps while he made an angry face

4 Likes

I went to school with someone whose cousin was Lloyd McGrath.

Been saving that anecdote for my wedding day, like.

1 Like

Ally McCoist. Glasgow Airport. He had a broken leg apparently.

1 Like

Once met Santa. Dude gave me this little toy car. Wasn’t as good as a Corgi car.

Later in life I stood behind Bernard Curry in a queue in a Baker’s Oven or something.

4 Likes

John Leslie, Blue Peter bring and buy sale, Leeds circa 1992.

Bit :grimacing:

1 Like

My parents took me on a weekend away in Hertfordshire…? somewhere, near the England training camp and where the players stayed, when I was 2 years old and the team were training there. We passed the team going into part of the hotel complex and John Barnes opened the gate for me and called me a pretty little princess :sparkles: :princess: :sparkles:

7 Likes

Think the first celebrity I saw was Darren Gough eating chicken nuggets in a McDonalds

The first I remember where I actually met people was the United squad in errrm 1999 or so We were driving past Manchester and my dad whos a Man u fan wanted to have a look at Old Trafford. When we got there it turns out the entire squad is doing some meet and greet thing hosted by Ulrika Jonsson and my dad blagged us in. I didn’t like Man United so when it came to meeting the players (they all stood in a row and you just walked down shaking hands much like a prematch tradition) I spent the whole thing crying. Peter Schmeichel ruffled my hair

1 Like