What were your favourite Radio shows of the past?

I must say I used to Love the Breezeblock with Mary Ann Hobbs. She introduced me to Mogwai and Lemon Jelly to name a few. She would regularly play Aphex Twin - Nanou2 at the end of her show.
I used to like Rob Da Bank on a Saturday morning. Very Eclectic. I first heard Hot Chip on his show.

Jive Alive on Hereward Radio (Peterborough), with Mick and Sarah-Jane. Shit name, great show.

Indie music show at 7pm every weekday in the early 90s. Pre-dated lamacq by a few years I think. Introduced me to so much music I still listen to now - as well as British indie, they played all the US alternative/grunge just as it was blowing up. Would be at my cassette-radio every evening, C-90 in, finger hovering over record for when a song I liked came on.

1 Like

Hearing the Mighty Boosh takeover on The Breezeblock was something of an awakening for young @Juke.

Nowt to do with the music but boy do I miss Mark and Lar.d

2 Likes

Came here to say Mark & Lard, but now there’s NO NEEEEED!

3 Likes

Yeah Mark and Lard were great!

1 Like

Breezeblock for me. Exchanged a few mails with Mary at the time about some of the tracks she played.

1 Like

Stu Allan on Key 103 back in the early 90’s. Legendary show for those in the know. Deary deary.

John Peel circa 1984-89. Magical.

2 Likes

myatt and perrys midlight line on beacon radio.

BBC Evening Session and Nick Abbott on Virgin Radio in the early/mid 90s.

Gods jukebox - mark lamarr on r2 was pretty special, especially listening late at night alone in the car, driving through the countryside.

Met him and chatted to him briefly when he DJed once. As nice as you would imagine.

1 Like

I saw him at a Gaye Bykers On Acid gig in Nottingham circa 1988. He was chatting to people all night and taking tapes off people, etc. He reviewed the gig for The Observer. Saw him many years later walking through Digbeth in Birmingham presumably going to the Custard Factory, saw him from the bus, he was carrying a bag of records he’d clearly just bought in Birmingham city centre. Both times I never talked to him which I regret now hugely.